End Tables Complete and Placed at Last!

Page 1 of 2
Finally got the end tables up to the house and placed in the living room. Also have better pictures and have updated the web page:
<http://www.mklange.cnc.net/EndTables/EndTables.html <www.mklange.cnc.net>

Rob Leatham

354 hours?? Wow!! Any kind of breakdown as to how those hours were spent? I guess you won't be making any more of those soon.What were the cost of materials?
On Oct 10, 10:46 pm, "Lee Michaels"
message

Uh, it's not the destination, it's the journey? Very nice work, Mark! Tom
tom wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. In the case of this journey, I'd have liked it to be a bit shorter, but I do think that I have finally resolved my issues with dovetails.

Rob Leatham

Very nice work indeed!
I take it you are happy with the Akeda?
diggerop wrote:
... snip

Thanks

Very much so. I don't know if it was technique or defect, but no matter what I did, I could never get perfect dovetails from the Leigh. The newer Leigh model may address the router support issue with one of its options, but there were other error sources at work also.
The Akeda does require a bit of set-up adjusting, but not nearly as much. The trade-off is that you need to design your elements in 1/8" steps for things to come out even, you don't get the infinitely variable spacing of the Leigh. I really don't view that as a huge detriment.

Rob Leatham

Thanks for the reply Mark. I've been toying with the idea of buying one for a while now and with the Aussie $ appreciating as it has, now is probably a good time to purchase.
The Woodrat also appeals, although it is more expensive.

We all know Norm could whip these out in 1/2 hour! ;-) Greg
Greg O wrote:

My shop elves aren't as good, I think I got a defective batch

Rob Leatham
Lee Michaels wrote:

Exact breakdown is in the Excel file at the bottom of the page. Biggest contributors were design time and dovetail calibration time. I think that's fixed for next time with the changeover to the Akeda jig.
Cost of the materials: biggest cost was the granite tops coming in at ~$500. The rest of the materials were relatively modest, the drawer pulls were also a large cost to the total. There are about $400 in lumber (Tucson prices, so other places would be less) costs between both tables. All told, each table has about $500 in material costs.

Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

They look great!
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That is just flat out nice work
They should be in the middle of the room not in a corner between chairs.
Larry C
Larry C wrote:

Thanks Larry

Rob Leatham
Morris Dovey wrote:

Thanks Morris

Rob Leatham
Wow, Great job! When are you starting on the rest of the furniture to match the end tables, and how long do you think it will take to finish them? LOL
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 21:57:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita

My thoughts exactly. At least reupholster. :)
As for the end tables, gorgeous! Absolutely stunning. Is the design your own? I love the non-straight vertical supports (I know zip about furniture terminology).
nb
notbob wrote:

Thanks. Yes, the design is my own. The basic form (several drawers with a shelf space between them and the end table top were inspired by a commercial piece my wife saw. The number of drawers, plant-on panels, nad arcs and curves are my design.

Rob Leatham
billw wrote:

Thanks. Actually, the end tables are a good complement to the Arts & Crafts style entertainment center that I finished several years ago. As far as I'm concerned, the living room now has all of the furniture it will ever need. ;-)
Rob Leatham
Mark & Juanita wrote:

Brilliant! <british accent>
That's some beautiful wood. (insert joke here)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Thanks