End of English Record

A sad day for those who have bought Record tools over the years with production now from China
http://www.fairfieldauctions.co.uk /
John
Sad day indeed, John. I visited the Park Rd works in Sheffield a couple of years ago on one of their free tuition courses that you got when you bought a Record machine. I think the writing was on the wall when they were bought out by Irwin - buy up the competition, "rationalise" it, strip any assets, then dump it. Gibson has just done exactly the same with Trace Elliot.
Cheers
Frank

And with that, we must now add "Record" brand tools to the, ever growing, "Not Recommended" products list :(
Rob
-----------------------
"John Horobin" wrote ...

Yes -
It's sad...but, DAGS on "rubbermaid" and "plant closings" (or variants thereof)...
Amerock, Quick-Grip, and several Rubbermaid plants....
Record is only a drop in the bucket....
Rob

Rob Lee writes:

Yes. I asked a PR person for Irwin about the planes a week or 2 ago: he gave me a name at Irwin to call, but I've yet to make the call. Premonition?
I thought the '80s proved the fallibility of too large corporate size, but these days, nothing seems to stop 'em.
That said, I like a good many of the new Irwin clamps--their bar clamps are really solid, at least the ones I've seen. The Quick-Grip clamps have just been re-branded, AFAICT.
I've got a couple of their saw blades somewhere, new ones. I'll try to remember to hook one up with the new table saw to see what it does. The older Marathon blades were lower middle price range and one helluva value.
Charlie Self In a New Hampshire Jewelry store: "Ears pierced while you wait."
John Horobin wrote:

Here are the people that you need to talk to. They own American Tool Co. (Vise-Grip among other things), Irwin, Record and as a result Marples, among other companies.
This is from their contact info from their website, www.rubbermaid.com You may phone us toll free in the United States at: 1-888-895-2110 M-F, 8 a.m. to 5.p.m., Eastern Time You may also contact us by Surface Mail
Rubbermaid Home Products Division ATTN: Consumer Services 1147 Akron Road Wooster, Ohio 44691-6000 USA
Canada Contact Information:
Rubbermaid Canada Consumer Service Dept 2562 Stanfield Rd Mississauga, ON L4Y1S5 Phone: 866-595-0525 Fax: 905-279-5254
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Yes, this was a management buyout I believe.
John