Good afternoon all,
In my unstained soft ambrosia maple banister system I have a few somewhat
visible pocket holes and in the unstained, exposed red oak stringers, I have
a lot. I can easily plug these essentially invisibly using matched species
plugs with a little tinting and hand-graining with colored pencils, but
since the plugs are essentially end grain (or a diagonal approximation of
it), I'm afraid they will take the finish differently and become obvious.
I'm planning on using a tung oil/orange distillate/beeswax finish I've used
elsewhere. Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation? I've
thought of rubbing a little beeswax on the end grain first, or maybe trying
a very thin shellac. I haven't experimented as yet and need guidance for
which direction to explore.
I'll try out some neutral filler on a sample. Thanks for the suggestion.
I always cut face grain plugs when I can and when I want to hide them, but
these little pocket holes require a 3/8" cylinder to plug them and it has to
be 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" long to cover the bias end cut, which is too deep for my
plug cutters. I've tried making a dowel cutting router jig, but when I try
to feed end grain in (to get a face grain side on the plug), the wood gets
chewed up. A lathe would work to cut dowels with the grain across instead
of along the long axis, but I don't have one. I have looked at the drill
press mini-lathe offered by Penn State Industries, but I'm not sure it
wouldn't be a wasted investment.
One thing I hadn't thought of would be to glue two plugs drilled in end
grain together end-to-end to get the necessary length. That's worth a try.
I off to the shop right now.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.