End grain on MDF

I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful solution:

A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain. He told me that was easy to deal with if one used Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer. We did. It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with temperature and all that). It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral spirits for clean-up. The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.

Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.

Happy CANADA DAY

Reply to
Robatoy

Pigmented Shellac.

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

Sure, easy for you to say.

Reply to
Robatoy

Try some thinned drywall compound. Dries faster, too. Tom

Reply to
tom

So it's route, paint, sand?

I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4 MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type cut edge, no profile.

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge fray> I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful > solution: >

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Probably just a bit of smudging on his CAD drawing.

;)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Must have used SketchUp. g,d&r

Reply to
FrozenNorth

I dunno. That's water-based and I'd think it might cause some swelling.

Reply to
Dave in Houston

It hides the burn marks on cherry quite well too. Art

Reply to
Artemus

So does black paint. ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Yup, the ends need to be sealed with anything except a water based product.

Reply to
Leon

I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4 MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type cut edge, no profile.

Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

Any edge "will" have a problem if you add a water based product directly to it.

Reply to
Leon

*gasping for air*
Reply to