End grain on MDF

I have seen a few queries on edge-treating MDF. Here is a wonderful solution:
A sign-maker had me do some 3D sculpting on my CNC using 1" MDF as a substrate. Needless to say, it exposed a whole whack of fuzzy grain. He told me that was easy to deal with if one used Zinser BullsEye Stain covering white ceiling primer. We did. It dried ready for sanding in 2 hours (I suppose that could vary with temperature and all that). It is a bit messy as it is oil-based..at least it needs mineral spirits for clean-up. The result was absolutely effortless, fast, cheap, and just great.
Works like a charm. If you didn't know this already, you do now.
Happy CANADA DAY

Pigmented Shellac.
Dave in Houston

Sure, easy for you to say.

Try some thinned drywall compound. Dries faster, too. Tom

I dunno. That's water-based and I'd think it might cause some swelling.
--
Dave in Houston

So it's route, paint, sand?
I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4 MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type cut edge, no profile.
Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge fraying problem with straight cut edges also?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Probably just a bit of smudging on his CAD drawing.
;)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Morris Dovey wrote:

g,d&r
--
Froz...

So it's route, paint, sand?
I recently had some shapes cut on my buddys full sheet CNC from 3/4 MDF. What he handed me is super clean on all edges and I know he didn't sand anything because I showed up right as he finished and picked it up off the table myself. It was just a typical end mill type cut edge, no profile.
Is it just profiled edges that have a problem or do you have an edge fraying problem with straight cut edges also?
Any edge "will" have a problem if you add a water based product directly to it.
It hides the burn marks on cherry quite well too. Art

Artemus wrote:

;-)
--
Froz...

*gasping for air*

Yup, the ends need to be sealed with anything except a water based product.