End grain gluing.

Page 2 of 2

Perhaps with your framing strength will not be an issue, but If I were doing it, I would either use a scarf or half-lap joint, either one would be plenty strong and eliminate concern of weak eng grain glue up.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

edge grain. Secondly, are you sure you want to use a wood that is that soft for that location?
Use a half-lap joint, perhaps 6" long. This is easy to make, clamp, and much stronger than a butt joint. Regular yellow woodworker's glue will work fine.