EMT Design Question

Page 2 of 2
Doug Miller wrote:

That is a nice fact to know about RMC. Thank you.

Yes, I don't doubt you that it would be the easiest way. And, I can't argue with your point that "it's just a garage". But there is no reason to skimp on this detail. You didnt surface mount the wiring in your new wine cellar, did you?

Bill,
Just to add a little info here: You can bend RMC conduit, but it is a real bitch. For example, because of the increased wall thickness a 3/4" EMT bender is used to bend 1/2" RMC. As has been mentioned, RMC is way overkill for a garage.
Steve

There's also no reason (IMHO) to go to great lengths to conceal wiring in utility areas such as garages and workshops.

Nope. But I did surface-mount nearly all of the wiring that I added to my workshop. Only the new walls got concealed wiring and flush-mounted switches and receptacles. And what little new wiring I've added in my garage has *all* been surface-mounted. On the other hand, new wiring in my kitchen is entirely concealed.
My decision tree looks like this:
Is the wall new construction? Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes. No -- Would concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes be easy to install? Yes -- do it. No -- Would surface-mounted conduit and boxes look out of place? Yes -- use concealed wiring and flush-mounted boxes. No -- surface-mount everything.
Wine cellar: Yes. Stop there. Concealed. Workshop (old walls): No, No, No. Surface mount. Workshop (new walls): Yes. Stop there. Concealed. Garage: No, No, No. Surface mount. Kitchen: No, No, Yes. Concealed.
Doug Miller wrote:

Your decision tree makes a lot of sense. Artistic endeavers that people do out of passion (like boat-building, for instance), don't have to make sense. They are, perhaps, just an outlet for expression. One man's Red Rock plane is another man's door-stop...
Regards, Bill
Bill wrote:

Oops: That should be Bed Rock plane.... Thought it's not too terrible of an expression for a rusty one. ; )

Bill wrote:

I'm in favor of removing the word "just" above.