employing the golden mean

also known as the golden ratio the golden portion and many others
when making some small tables i decided to use this ratio for the surface area
it is pleasing to the eye
do you ever employ this technique in your work
where or what have you used it on
the next book case i make i plan to do this for the height and width dimensions
speaking of heights and widths i saw an good old joke from steven wright
some people are afraid of heights not me i am afraid of widths

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

It is? Apparently, my eye is askew.

I've not used it. In fact, never even heard of it until about 2 wks ago, when my buddy (pro carpenter) came over and happened to mention it.
Lotta "if's", "maybe's", "claims", and "said to be's". Looks more like one of those "Paul is dead" guess-a-thons. ;)
nb
On 6/12/2016 12:31 PM, notbob wrote:

There is something to it, even in nature http://io9.gizmodo.com/5985588/15-uncanny-examples-of-the-golden-ratio-in-nature
No rule says you have to follow it, but generally it is pleasing to the eye. There are some basic design rules that are used for appearance, but break the rules properly and you can still have something of beauty. Its all in how out brain works and how we perceive things.

No wonder I'm always wrong. ;)
nb
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 14:41:55 -0400

the ratio is found all over in nature or the work of god or whatever you like
On Sun, 12 Jun 2016 08:53:23 -0700, Electric Comet

If you actually do wood working does anything ever fit together properly given that your decimal point is missing?

He's fine if he uses fractions, but the slash is also missing.
I guess he could always express everything in 32's of an inch... Like a standard 64 by 128 by 3072. (Nominal, of course.)
Puckdropper