Eliminating free play on the arm

Can anyone help? I am battling to eliminate movement of the arm relative to the column. (I own a BD powershop ) I have had it for years and have manual for it and have experience in adjusting the machine. When eliminating free play the column to the pots part is sorted, The arm to the column is where I am having a problem. There are two pinch screws at the back of the arm with lock nuts that gradually gets tightened until there is resistance on the movement of the arm. Up to the point where these screws are so tight that the arm can no longer be swung from left to right, the movement on the arm still results in about 8mm of movement of the blade from left to right when pushing on the arm in the locked position. Only once the screws are so tight that the arm cannot be moved when in the unlocked position, is the play eliminated. I would really appreciate help.

Reply to
frankie

I did not mention that this is a Radial arm Saw, just in case it was not obvious

Reply to
frankie

Link to schematic would help; don't know the particular saw by that name, anyway.

I've had a small (10") B&D RAS, how similar specifics I've no idea w/o seeing what you've got, but the key is in adjusting the column arm brake/lock tension, not the column. If you pull hard enough, you can make it move no matter how tightly adjusted but it can be locked down sufficiently for accurate use ime.

But, it isn't and never will be the equivalent of a heavier/sturdier design like the pricier Delta or OSC.

--

Reply to
dpb

I would highly recommend that you check out the "Dewalt Radial Arm Saw Group" on Delphi forums. The basic membership is free and it is the most knowledgeable group of radial arm saw users that I know of. First stop should be the Frequently asked questions section where there is a great collection of accumulated knowledge.

Scott.

Reply to
sidejobscooter