Electrical Wiring Question

Page 2 of 2

you're right about being able to pull the wires.

You know not that of which you speak.
U.S. National Electrical Code allows *SIX* #10 wires in 1/2" conduit, with appropriate insulation -- e.g. THHN.
And it _can_ be done, over short distances, with a limited number of bends        . I _know_, because I've _got_ a circa 8' section, that is so loaded. It was a *real* b*tch to pull the wiring, particularly past the 3rd bend. :)
Done under 'permit' from the city, and the City electrical inspector _has_ signed off on it.

Robert Bonomi wrote...

Yep, he was mistaken in that...

What was the derating factor?
Jim

Derating in this application is not important. You would derate to 80% but THHN #10 cu is good for 40a and 240.4(D) limits you to 30a so you still have a safety factor, even with the derate. You only have to derate based on current carrying conductors and you don't need to derate the conductors that only carry the unbalanced current of a multiwire circuit so it usually takes a lot of wire in a pipe before a THHN run is affected.

Didn't come into play. Only 4 hot leads. (two pairs of 3-wire 'Edison' circuits)
However, outlets were 20Rs, so I breakered the circuits at 20A ea.