Electrical wiring

Page 4 of 4
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:36:47 -0400, Bradford Chaucer

Are you saying that I was in error using 10/2 for my 240V water heater?
I don't think so. There is no requirement to use xx/3 wire for 240V if a neutral isn't called for (as it is with ranges and dryers since the '90s). Your table saw or planer circuit could just as correctly be run with xx/2 cable.
The NEC makes a provision for using the white conductor in NMC (Romex) as a hot lead for just that circumstance (and also for switching):: you must mark the white wire at each end as a "hot" conductor. A piece of tape will do, although I used a red magic marker coloring each white conductor in all my 240V shop circuits--I could just as easily have colored them black, as there's no "polarity" marking requirement, either.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

All correct up to this point, but now you go astray:

Completely incorrect. Since a 240V circuit has no neutral conductor, only two hots and a ground, 10/2 with ground is perfectly fine for use in 240V circuits up to 30A. Three-conductor cable (such as 10/3) is needed for a 240V circuit only if there are also 120V loads on the circuit; an example of this would be an electric dryer, which has 240V heating elements and (typically) a 120V motor. The 240V motors which are typically found in woodworking tools have no neutral, only two hots, and will get along just fine on circuits wired with two-conductor cable.
--
Regards,

This is just patently incorrect. Perhaps it's a typo, but in matters like this good proof reading becomes essential. 10/2 is not used in 120v circuits only.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Actually, I'd be surprised if 10/2 was used in 120V circuits at all.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

There would be a few rare cases, such as - very long run on a 20A circuit, where voltage drop is a legitimate concern - 30A circuit supplying, for example, fixed space heating equipment but I'm sure that its most common use, by far, is in 240V circuits.
--
Regards,
wrote: [snip] | |Actually, I'd be surprised if 10/2 was used in 120V circuits at all.

Right. It makes dandy speaker wire.
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:19:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

So, with 60+ (sometimes contentious) posts and not a peep from the OP, does anyone else get that sharp pain in the cheek feeling that comes from striking the lure?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
I want to thank all the posters for the information. I have read everyone post and appreciate the time and effort in answering the question. I meet with the electrician next week in wiring the shop.
Thank you.
Jim
since my first posting a few weeks ago I have contacted an electrician who than decided not to show up. I than decided to do the wiring myself and am happy to say that it is complete and inspection passed.
I would like to thank all posters who threw their 2 cents in.
Jim
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 14:19:22 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Just a quick note about the progress of my garage. Since the first post I have contacted an electrician, who decided not to show up. I thus decided to do the wiring myselft. With the advice from this post the wiring is finished and passed inspection. I want to thank all who have thrown their 2 cents in helped me accomplish this part of my project.
Thank you.
Jim