Electrical question (I know this is a WW forum)

I don't frequent any other forums and have a basic electrical question so t hought I would try it here.

When I look at circuits for outlets they always run the wire "through" ever y outlet until the end. Is it OK to just branch or T off of an existing cir cuit?

I have an outlet at each end of a wall. There is romex running across the t op of the wall from one to another. It has some slack. I would like to clip the romex, add in a junction box and tie in one piece of two wire romex ru nning down to a new outlet box and splice the clipped ones back together so the original ones keep working.

If I follow all the circuit maps I see and the traditional way I see circui ts done I would clip the romex, run one piece of two wire down to the new o utlet from one side of the clip. Then come out the other side of the outlet with more romex back up to the other side of the clip so the circuit runs "through the outlet, instead of branching.

I know branching works because I have done it a few times before.

Questions.

To code? Don't really care, just wonder. Safe? Do care.

Of course I also run the ground wire as well.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

On 8/14/2013 4:18 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: ...

In principle, "yes", that's all the original circuit is doing...

That makes a parallel connection of that outlet w/ the rest; afaik there's no prohibition in the Code to doing that. Wne would run cable down and back and just connect in series to keep it that way.

As for the box, all code says is that you _must_ use a junction box w/ a cover and that box then must remain accessible -- and "accessible" doesn't mean back under the drywall even when you know where it is--it must be available w/ nothing structural in the way of access...it can be a panel door, or somesuch, just must be able to get to it w/o demolition.

There are some rules about load limits and outlets used depending on whether it is 15 or 20A circuit.

Of course...

Reply to
dpb

And you would "pigtail" the ground wires to the junction box. I think that both of the wiring options you describe are fine. "Branching" gets

3 less wires, and 3 fewer wire nuts, in the junction box and uses less wire. I have *no* qualifications to dispense any information which should be relied upon. Especially whether it is better to "branch" or "go through" the receptacle. However I am leaning towards the branching solution for the rationale given. There are probably others here who would be happy to assess for you my knowledge of matters electrical.. But I hope they recognize that I am coming along! : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Thanks so much for the answer and explanation.

Yes I am aware of the code about junction boxes, accessibility, max loading , etc. Of course I thought I knew the code and once did all my splices in b oxes and blithely covered them with sheet rock during my last home renovati on but have since learned more about this area when I recently pulled a per mit for a remodel of a rental property and studied up a bit.

This little branching project is to fix a problem in my rented barn\shop so no inspections, just want it safe. I was pretty lucky when my (sub-lease) tenant happened to be in the barn at the moment in time a pinched wire star ted a fire. So after a full inspection of the electrical system I am rewiri ng some 110 outlets that are pulled from one leg of a 220 circuit and seem to be throwing off the phase or some sort of imbalance when they get a big draw.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

In a normal breaker box, you come in with 230 and branch out with your 110 legs (and/or 230).

I would do the same on this installation and NOT take all the circuits off one leg of the 230. As you said, it can cause problems, beside which, you are only utlizing one half of what is available to you.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

On 8/14/2013 6:35 PM, SonomaProducts.com wrote: ...

That's _bad_...

Can't tell from afar w/ no info how to most effectively deal with it, but there definitely shouldn't be that much of a potential load imbalance between the two legs of the 230 service.

Sounds like the side outlet is the least of your problems.

Reply to
dpb

thought I would try it here.

ery outlet until the end. Is it OK to just branch or T off of an existing c ircuit?

top of the wall from one to another. It has some slack. I would like to cl ip the romex, add in a junction box and tie in one piece of two wire romex running down to a new outlet box and splice the clipped ones back together so the original ones keep working.

uits done I would clip the romex, run one piece of two wire down to the new outlet from one side of the clip. Then come out the other side of the outl et with more romex back up to the other side of the clip so the circuit run s "through the outlet, instead of branching.

I don't see a problem with your plan, although I can't speak for "code," an d that may well be different in different areas. However, why not run 3 wi re Romex down, and ground the thing?

Reply to
martyahrens

It is safe to "tie into" an existing circuit, and if you want to get technical, it really matters what the main circuit is used for. If the 2 receptacles are on a high watt appliance say, and you want to run another, it may pop the circuit. More than likely not, and you are fine. Most of the times many of the receptacles on any given circuit are not being use. rarely are they ever on all at the same time unless a workshop, business, lighting, computer, tv... So, I would put in a junction box, and pig tail the circuit coming in and going out to allow the original circuit to be operating, and then using the pigtail, tie into the new receptacle. Make sure the grounds are all the same, the neutral, and of course the hot. john

[...]

jloomis