Electric sparks generated by my new cordless drill

I bought a new 18v cordless drill (craftsman) from sears, and I happened to test it in a dark room. I found a mass of electric sparks gernerated inside the drill every time I run it. I could see the electric sparks through its air vents, and the obvious electirc sparks even illuminated the nearby stuff when I put in the reverse gear, no kidding, it looked like a small bulb was installed there.
Could anybody here please tell me if that was normal for a cordless drill? The electirc sparks really scared me, they could make a big problem in some circumstances.
Thanks.
All DC motors spark as the brushes make and break contact. Yes, this is normal. BTW, it doesn't have a "reverse gear". The motor reverses.

On 11 Aug 2003 22:25:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca (Data Man) Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

yes, and no excessive sparks indicate worn or improperly seated brushes...
might be a good idea to take it back. anyone else?
Traves
It being a NEW drill, the brushes may spark less as the brushes "wear in"
This is normal for most all universal motors. A corded drill will do the same providing you have an opening to see the brushes.