electric sanders for refinishing kitchen cabinets

I have, or had, plywood panel until I went too aggressive with the belt sander. Looks pretty good except one small spot where the first ply was completely removed.
So what would be the best sander for this? 1/4 sheet and 5" ROS? Which ones?
what kind of finish are you trying to remove? that might dictate to some degree how aggressive you'll need to be, and whether you want to try chemical strippers instead of just sanding.
As for sanders, using a belt sander on plywood is probably not a very good idea in any circumstance. I've used a ROS many times, but you have to be very careful and not tilt it or let it stay in one place too long, especially if you use aggressive grits. In many cases, using a sanding block and elbow grease is the best way to control what you're doing.
Mike

ones?
Its has a dark stain and then some clear finish. No idea of what the clear finish is but its quite thick. Tried heat gun but too slow going. Don't mind using elbow grease but very tired now after remove about 1,400 sf of popcorn ceiling, skim coat, sand the whole thing and waiting to be painted before I finish the kitchen cabinets.

Kim wrote:

What are you going to use for the new finish? If paint, no need to do other than sand smooth, no need to remove clear coat and stain.
If you have to remove the clear coat use a chemical stripper. If lacquer (may well be) you can use lacquer thinner; otherwise, a paint remover. You'll have to sand out the stain. And don't do it too agressively, the face ply is thin.
Personally, I like the Porter Cable #505 above all others...the soft pad helps get into low spots without digging more of a hole.
-- dadiOH ____________________________

A much lighter stain or just leave it natural with a clear coat. Paint on good wood is like ketchup on good steak ... but each to his/her own.
Kim wrote:

So is stain.
What are you going to do about the face ply through which you sanded?
--
dadiOH
____________________________

Nothing says the OP has to sand through the face ply.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Looks like paint is the way to go as the stain, upon closer look, was already permeated into the face ply.
Kim wrote:

Sure it is. That's why it shows...soaks into the wood a ways. Doesn't mean it can't be sanded out, even on the skinny, modern veneers. Gotta be careful though.
If you do paint, don't use latex!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do use a GOOD primer. Zinnser BIN white Shellac-based sealer/primer works really well, after you've cleaned those surfaces well. Open the windows, because the stuff stinks for a couple of hours, and the solvent is alcohol. But for what you're doing, I don't think there's a better home-center type of product.
Patriarch

Porter Cable SpeedBloc 1/4 sheet sander, it will get close to the walls and or in tight corners.