Education

Page 5 of 5

The Soul of a Tree A Woodworker's Reflections George Nakashima
jc

Geez you guys! I thought this woodworking thread was to learn "how" to build a soapbox... not climb up on it!
And what's with all those book titles you bandy about?!? I don't think I've seen any one of them on Oprah's book list!
(snicker)

What good is building a soap box if you're *not* going to climb up on it?????
C'mon, let's apply some common sense here!
(also snickers)
jc
toolman946 via CraftKB.com wrote:

I'll assume that post is tongue-in-cheek.
Regardless, there's plenty of room for all kinds of discussions on a WW forum. One of the reasons I prefer USENET to other forums is that it's not moderated formally. Informally, it's very moderated by all users.
By and large, the Wreck talks about wood, tools, problems, safety and all other "on topic" issues. Just like if you're in a small shop and you talk out a problem with the guy next to you. What's the right blade for this cut, what wood should I use here, etc.
After a bit, those same two guys gather round the woodstove or water cooler for a smoke and/or coffee and talk about whatever they feel like, which may include getting laid last nite, what a genius/buffoon Bush is, or whether Bush got laid last nite. On topic to a shop?
Sure is.
It's all part of the process.
--
Tanus

This is not really a sig.
"Tanus" wrote > By and large, the Wreck talks about

Well said.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

The Hardy boys didn't have any female help, so ditto.
Say WHAT??? Are you forgetting Aunt Gertrude??????
geez......
jc

I remember marveling back in the late 50s every time Frank mashed the accelerator to the floorboard and the car zoomed to 30 mph! Me thinks my set were original 1920-something prints. And, even though I knew at age nine or ten that 30 mph really wasn't very fast at all, it never kept me from finishing that particular book and starting the next one.
--
NuWave Dave in Houston

Dave in Houston said:

It may have been fluff to stuffy adults, but one of the easiest ways to get kids to read voluntarily. Wasn't that the point?
Greg G.

I think so. I also think Harry Potter is trash, but fun trash for kids, and it has gotten millions who wouldn't otherwise pick up a book involved in reading, at least for a start. And made its author a billionairess (how's that for politically incorrect).
With all today's distractions, it's sometimes hard to get kids interested in books, but without books, their lives are going to be a lot less complete. Hell, even books by Ann Coulter have SOME value.
Charlie Self said:

The current obsession with the Potter books is a bit disconcerting - too much of anything isn't a good thing and can displace reality in young minds; albeit temporarily. I understand their concern of the unrealistic "magic" stuff, but a part of growing up is discarding the trash yet keeping the skills developed. Hell, I spent my childhood believing I was going to get off of this cinder one day.

I agree. Even hate laden, vituperative screeds make good kindling. ;-)
Greg G.