Edging plywood

Page 2 of 2
As everyone else suggests, use a hard wood edge. I usually slice 3/8" wide strips from 4/4 stock. Do this on the outside of the tablesaw blade. There are some tricks to this, if anyone asks, I'll explain.
Or you can use a strip of moulding for a fancier edge. I like using a bell curve profile but half rounds can work too.
In our shop we apply these using tape instead of clamps (no nail holes or clamp dents). You can get some kind of stretchy tape just for this or use masking. Just be careful that the tape doesn't pull up grain of veener. This should be OK on Birch, Oak or mahogany can be a problem.
Make the strip a little wider than the ply. Glue it up so the bottom is flush and the top rides high. Then use a scraper to pull the top down flush, just until you take a shave of the veneer. I am a power tool guy all the way but this is pretty much the best use of a scraper I've seen and the best way to pull down the hard wood edge that I've found.
If you are going to use edge banding (the glued/ironed on veneer strip) make sure to fill any voids if you are using veneer core ply. MDF core is better for this, no voids. Voids will telegraph and/or be points of bad adhesion. I wouldn't edge band this application, but if you do, really pull the edge down away from the top to minimize and nicking of the edge band when removing iotems.
snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote in message

Here you go: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip111700wb.html
Mike Pio wrote:

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:38 +0000 (GMT Standard Time), snipped-for-privacy@cix.co.uk (Malcolm Webb) wrote:

Usually I will use solid wood. If you use a solid wood lip on the shelves it will give it additional strength.
Thanks to all for the helpful tips on edging plywood. Much appreciated.
Does anyone have any ideas on the best finish for edge-banded birch plywood. The bookcase will be in a room furnished with beech furniture on a cedar hardwood floor. I am thinking of using brushing wax.
Many thanks in advance.
Malcolm Webb

I wouldn't use wax on a bookshelf. Over a period of time, the bottom edges of the books will start to pick it up and negatively affect the paper edges of those books. My best recommendation is a gel stain and then some type of polyurethane to seal it.

Waterlox! SH