Edgebanding solid wood?

I cut and jointed the large cherry panel I asked about a few days ago; the one where the front side was cut at a 30 degree angle to the grain. It worked out fine. Well almost fine. It was very awkward to hold because of the size and shape, and I ended up taking more off one side than the other. It is straight, but at a slight angle. I haven't seen this before, but then again I have never jointed to a line on the wood before. (I cut it

1/16" oversized to allow room to joint, and took off 1/16" on one end and 1/32" on the other.)

Anyhow, the edge isn't particularly attractive; because of the partial end grain, but also because the boards that were glued up are not precisely the same color. It looks okay on the top surface, but looks odd on the front edge.

Can I put some hot melt cherry edge banding on it? I expect there will be a small amount of movement because of the 30 degree angle. Will the edge banding stretch enough to accomodate that? Or is there some other reason I will regret doing it. Thanks.

Reply to
toller

"toller" wrote in news:c__4e.635$ snipped-for-privacy@news02.roc.ny:

Clean up the edge with a handplane, and maybe edgeband with a strip of solid cherry, if you need to. Edgebanding has a high likelihood of looking really out of place. You'll still need to deal with the color difference.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch