Edge Sander

Page 2 of 2
I have a 6x108 chinese knockoff of General that doesn't oscillate. I did try using it some at first on face frames and some other stuff, but not on drawers. It tends to sand unevenly with the left side getting more cut, so I used it only on short rails, etc. I get some use out of the curved end where it turns to sand/cut on top rails for curved arched doors. Sometimes, I use it for misc. stuff, but not regularly. I have an old delta combination 12" disc and 6x48 belt sander that I use once in a while also. Both machines are invaluable when I need them. I believe I would get a whole lot more mileage out of an oscillating spindle sander most of the time. As for sanding doors and drawer fronts, I cheat and use a small Timesavers, but a good barrel sander will work just as well, only it is harder to change the sandpaper. Before I had the belt sander, I used a Bosch Random orbital, which is much faster than the small critters around.

On 4/4/2012 1:04 PM, woodstuff wrote:

I mostly want to clean up cabinet door edge joints, and drawer joints where the Domino's are at.

I'm not sure that I can help you with that. When on some occasions I have a square edge with maybe a roundover or other pattern, I will just use the random orbital, and sometimes freehand sandpaper on the pattern. Most of my customers seem to want an edge profile that can't be sanded by an edge sander and must be sanded a little mostly with the random orbital and by hand. There are some high-buck machines that will do this, and even ease all of the edges on the doors/drawer fronts simultaneously, but I don't live in that neighborhood.
If you decide to sell your vehicles, cash out on your house, put your kids up for adoption, and possibly sell your soul, then look up denibbing and contour-sanding machines in your search engine.