Edge of plywood table top.

I am replacing a table top with a nice piece of cabinet grade plywood. It is a piece 2'x4'. I want to cover the edges of the plywood with veneer edging. It says to use an iron to apply it. Should I start on one corner of the side or in the middle of one side? I plan to use a pre stain sealer and then a good oil based stain. What should I use to get a good hard finish? Will several coats of poly provide enough protection? TIA Chuck B.

Reply to
Chuck

The problem with this type veneer is that it is so thin that it can easily be torn off if someone or something bumps into the corner of the table. Cabinet grade plywood being relatively soft does not add much of a stable backing on corners if it gets hit. Think about kitchen counter tops that are covered by Formica or some thing like it. How many times have you seen the edging pulled away from a corner?

The better choice would be to go with narrow solid wood edging to protect the edges and corners of the plywood top.

As far as finishes to, again plywood tends to be pretty soft, no finish that I know of will add much protection against hard dings, you will still get dents pretty easily if you are not very careful with what you use the table for. Harder finishes tend to be more protective against scratches. The hardness of the wood does more in helping to prevent dents and dings.

Reply to
Leon

Thank you for the info. I may have chosen the wrong wood for this project. It is very soft and will be used in a teenagers room. The original top suffered nail polish remover, hot curling irons, and other unknown solvents. I will have to have a talk with her. I thought about putting glass over the wood. CB

Reply to
Chuck