Edge joint with a planer?

Is it possible to edge joint with a planer? Hwo would I go about doing it?

wouldn't deform under the rollers. You would have to mount it on a carrier that was perfectly flat and rigid enough not to deform; otherwise it would just copy the irregularities on the down side. Even then I don't think it would be straight. If you put a board through a planner several time without changing the setting, it will take progressively light cuts, but will continue to cut. That implies there is a certain amout of play in it, and that should be enough to ruin this plan. Give it a try and let us know.
Not really recommended. A board on its edge is unstable and can cause all sorts of accidents when you try to shore it up or worse, hold it by hand. Just basic safety. Bugs
This is one of those "it depends" answers.
Light cuts on narrow stock (2" or less) will work. Also better if you run several through together. I also wouldn't recommend anything longer than 3' or certainly shorter than your planer handbook recommends. I have run two or more narrow pieces through on a few occasions and it works fine.
Again, light cuts. And like your table saw - don't stand behind the feed-path. Contrary to popular belief a planer can throw things at you.
Ron
stryped wrote:

sure, theoretically almost anything is possible. and you've come to the right place to find people into trying unusual things with woodworking machinery. we've been doing it for years, and talking about it here. all of that talking is archived, unless someone sets the no archive bit on their messages. the archive can be searched, which is a great help. here's how: go to http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?q=&hl=en & type in the subject you're interested in, the group you want to search in (rec.woodworking) and hit the go button.

We just went through this discussion a few weeks ago. Considering you're posting through google groups, do a search.
Short answer is yes you can do it with the right jigs/sleds.
dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca wrote:

Yes, we did -- in response to a question from the same guy, IIRC.

Oooooh, too bad, stryped -- none of your posts are archived. :-(
--
Regards,
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 23:38:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Wouldn't matter. He's already made it clear he can't be bothered to look up old threads, even when he knows the answers to his questions are already there.
--
Chuck Taylor
http://home.hiwaay.net/~taylorc/contact /

Bossman wrote:

Many of us do answer the same questions over and over. I even keep a text file on my desktop where I can cut and paste stuff into a post, called "'wreck frequent posts".
If we can Google the same person asking the same questions over and over, within a month, and doing the same on other groups, should we not call them out?
What if the second person who asked for directions to that real estate office had arrived in the same car as the first? Or, the same person came back and asked again, 15 minutes later? And again, 30 minutes after that? <G>
Eventually, you realize you're being played...

Well, this is a step in the right direction...

I'm not taking issue with anyones right to stand and call them out. If thats what you feel is right, please, this great country allows us to do just that. I'll even stand by your right to do so. I'm just having a hard time understanding WHY.
My take on this group is it is the electronic equivilant of a small society, complete with leaders, followers, rule breakers etc.... With so many people wanting to actually learn what we do, I feel that this might be their first impression of the group, and that we as a whole should put our best face forward. Kill file the guy whos doing what you said. To let someone like that get the better of the good people here is totally irrational to me. If they persist, and are ignored, they will go away. If they break the rules, report em ( even though I;d rather handle them a different way myself) . If things don't change, lets create a moderated newsgroup.

<s> Nice response. I'd tell them the second time, maybe the condensedwave of the arm in the stores general direction. Maybe they are lonely, disturbed.... whatever. The third time I don't lift my head out of the coffee cup <s>
I checked some of your responses too. Some real good stuff. Shame to see you waste you knowledge on knucklheads, even though I probably fit into the latter <s>
Bossman
Bossman wrote:

Ya' know, I don't know... <G> I'm pretty good at ignoring a lot of if, but sometimes the coffee wasn't right one morning...

It's not wasted at all. Not that long ago, _I_ was a total knuckle head, now I'm moving towards semi-knucklehead. Many of the folks here have helped me get faster, safer, better, as well as appreciate different styles and designs.
Sometimes, a response to a simple knucklehead question will make me rethink the way I've done something for years. Sometimes, just _different_ can open up a whole new road.
Bossman wrote:

Aaah, yer mom.
;-)
It's not normal for this group, IMHO. The poster being responded to is actually restating the same question they asked earlier, and for which they already received lots of good advice and pointers.
It's strange and unsettling to be asked the same questions repeatedly by the same person, and more so when the questions have been answered and the questioner comes back with more (trivial, related) questions that will be answered by taking that advice to the workshop and *trying* *it* *out*.
As though he had no intention of doing it, but just wants to continue asking questions.
Weird. Not really the same as the scenario you retell.
Anyway, that's the way I saw the whole stryped thing unfold.
er
--
email not valid