Edge-joining Plywood

I'm building a table where the legs are 3/4 inch oak plywood. The "legs" are attached to the "feet" with a curved edge of 7 inch radius

- edge to edge. the curve is about 1/4 of a full circle. I can't get buiscuits in because the buiscut cutter won't work on that kind of inside curve. Dowels would be almost impossible to drill so they are all parallel and aligned between the two parts.

I don't really want to get a slotting cutter for the router and use a curved spline. Since the pieces are cut, I don't want to cut new pieces and make a lap joint - I'm not sure about the looks of it either.

I tried a test sample edge glued with yellow glue. I ripped it apart by hand, but half the width of one piece had half the lamination tear away.

Suggestions? Alternate joint reinforcement?, different glue or gluing technique? (My test was to brush yellow glue on both edges and clamp for 2 hours. Tested after they sat about 20 hours.)

BTW - the face grain is oriented at right angles between the two pieces. I would think this make the layers always end grain to face grain, every layer.

What about gluing a thin stip of solid oak as a buffer between the two pieces of plywood? Might add some decoration - or not.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Allen

Reply to
Allen

You could use a slotting cutter and biscuits.

Or pocket screws with decorative plugs (say, walnut, in a fan pattern).

Reply to
DJ Delorie