edge gluing veneers

I have 4 pieces of walnut, a bit over 1/8" thick, and about 5" wide and

18" long.

What is the best way of edge gluing these together?

I have tried clamping, (and taping) but can not see how to keep all the pieces level with each other. To make matters worse, the pieces are perhaps +- 1/16" of each other in thickness. I don't have a drum sander, so was hoping to glue them so one face is in a plane, and to sand/scrape the other face smooth.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Press them down with bricks

Reply to
joedog90045

To be successful they really need to be the same thickness, as clamping works much better if they are. Also you don't need to use a whole lot of clamping pressure ... easy does it.

Much as the other poster said, use bricks to keep thin parts flat when clamping. Not a bad idea to keep a bunch of bricks in the shop, covered with duct tape, as they come in handy on many glue-ups.

Reply to
Swingman

I guess that would be 2 or 3 bricks per board, wouldn't it?

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Hmm, so I have seen on TV! Thanks for the suggestions. Any ideas on getting them the same thickness?

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Heres the way luthiers do it.

Teamcasa

Ayup depending on the brick size. How were these cut? Is at least 1 face of each jointed/smooth? What will you be doing with the completed panel? Joe

Reply to
joedog90045

Thanks for the link. I now remember seeing the show, and that is exactly what I tried! I think my problem was 1.)I am trying to glue 4 boards at once. Perhaps 2 at a time would be better. and 2.) the pieces are a bit different thicknesses, but this would again be helped by gluing 2 at once, I think.

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Actually, not completely. I did run each newly exposed face over the jointer after cutting with the band saw, but only enough to take out any bad irregularities. The edges were jointed before resawing.

I am veneering the top of a cabinet.

Harvey

Reply to
eclipsme

Do you also post under the name "stryped"?

Reply to
dadiOH