edge gluing veneers

I have 4 pieces of walnut, a bit over 1/8" thick, and about 5" wide and 18" long.
What is the best way of edge gluing these together?
I have tried clamping, (and taping) but can not see how to keep all the pieces level with each other. To make matters worse, the pieces are perhaps +- 1/16" of each other in thickness. I don't have a drum sander, so was hoping to glue them so one face is in a plane, and to sand/scrape the other face smooth.
Any ideas?
Thanks, Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

Press them down with bricks
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

Ayup depending on the brick size. How were these cut? Is at least 1 face of each jointed/smooth? What will you be doing with the completed panel? Joe
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

jointer after cutting with the band saw, but only enough to take out any bad irregularities. The edges were jointed before resawing.
I am veneering the top of a cabinet.
Harvey
eclipsme wrote:

Do you also post under the name "stryped"?
--

dadiOH
____________________________
"eclipsme" wrote in message

To be successful they really need to be the same thickness, as clamping works much better if they are. Also you don't need to use a whole lot of clamping pressure ... easy does it.
Much as the other poster said, use bricks to keep thin parts flat when clamping. Not a bad idea to keep a bunch of bricks in the shop, covered with duct tape, as they come in handy on many glue-ups.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 5/6/06
Swingman wrote:

getting them the same thickness?
Harvey

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hb_musical_instruments/article/0,2033,DIY_13881_2778041,00.html
Dave
Teamcasa wrote:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/hb_musical_instruments/article/0,2033,DIY_13881_2778041,00.html
what I tried! I think my problem was 1.)I am trying to glue 4 boards at once. Perhaps 2 at a time would be better. and 2.) the pieces are a bit different thicknesses, but this would again be helped by gluing 2 at once, I think.
Thanks, Harvey