edge gluing 3/8 stock ?

I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about 9" apart.
My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of separation problems down the road ?
For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic effect in the room
Thanks, TR

Nope. Not as a result of omitting the biscuits, anyway. As long as your stock is properly surfaced, and your gluing and clamping are done properly, you'll be fine. In edge-glued joints, biscuits aid in alignment, but don't add significantlly to the strength of the joint (which, with modern glues, is stronger than the wood to begin with).

Unevenness *will* weaken the joint -- biscuits or not.
--
Regards,

No. You can actually use masking tape perpendicular to the joint to hold the pieces together if your edges are straight.

"TimR" wrote:
> I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide > alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about > 9" apart. > > My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge > glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of > separation problems down the road ? <snip>
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Lew

It is debatable whether biscuits add ant strength. I have made 18" wide panels 1/4" thick for scroll sawing and never had separation problems. If properly prepared glue joints are stronger than the wood.