Edge gluing 3/8" panels

I am making a blanket chest and for looks I would like to resaw and then bookmatch Zebrawood. The panels would be about 9"wide edge glued in the center for the bookmatch. Is this wise, I am not sure about the strength of a 3/8" edge glued joint? Also any suggestions on holding alignment? For 3/4" panels I have used biscuits with success. Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton

--------------------------------------- First question would be, "How are the edges of the panel going to be supported, restrained, etc.

I've glued up 3/8" floating panels with no problems.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is a mission style chest and the panels are floating in a rail and stile. Any suggestions on holding alignment during glue up, or just be really careful? Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton

------------------------------ I didn't sweat it.

Started with rough cut panels that were oversized.

(Resawed some 4/4 stock and left it rough so panels were about 1/2")

After glue-up, headed to the top shop and had them drum sanded to 3/8" thick.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You can use some cauls.

Basic operation is to clamp som boards across your panels. You can put tape on the face of the cauls so they don't glue to the panel. See this page here, second image donw the page I think.

SonomaProducts.com

caul idea looks like what I want to do. Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton

Good luck, sounds like a fun project, I live for mission\craftsman style. Zebra panels, what type of wood for the frame?

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The thinking man's method. Works for me too :)

Reply to
dadiOH

The grand daughter selected plain maple. I agree with that since I don't want two competing design elements that I might get if the frame were higly figured or QSWO.

Reply to
Russ Stanton

Nice, the white striping in the zebra will match well with the Maple frame. Maybe some walnut pegs if you are pegging any of the joints Or maybe walnut splines at mitered corners of the lid. It might help pull the white and brown elements together.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Good thought, I'll keep that in mind. The design does have pegged joints .I was thinking of Ebony but Walnut would work better in terms of the Zebrawood/Maple mix. Russ

Reply to
Russ Stanton