Edge gluing 3/8" panels

I am making a blanket chest and for looks I would like to resaw and then bookmatch Zebrawood. The panels would be about 9"wide edge glued in the center for the bookmatch. Is this wise, I am not sure about the strength of a 3/8" edge glued joint? Also any suggestions on holding alignment? For 3/4" panels I have used biscuits with success. Russ
"Russ Stanton" wrote:

--------------------------------------- First question would be, "How are the edges of the panel going to be supported, restrained, etc.
I've glued up 3/8" floating panels with no problems.
Lew

Any suggestions on holding alignment during glue up, or just be really careful? Russ
"Russ Stanton" wrote:

I didn't sweat it.
Started with rough cut panels that were oversized.
(Resawed some 4/4 stock and left it rough so panels were about 1/2")
After glue-up, headed to the top shop and had them drum sanded to 3/8" thick.
Have fun.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

The thinking man's method. Works for me too :)
--

dadiOH

You can use some cauls.
Basic operation is to clamp som boards across your panels. You can put tape on the face of the cauls so they don't glue to the panel. See this page here, second image donw the page I think.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/woodnews/2010april/cauls.html

caul idea looks like what I want to do. Russ

Good luck, sounds like a fun project, I live for mission\craftsman style. Zebra panels, what type of wood for the frame?

want two competing design elements that I might get if the frame were higly figured or QSWO.

Nice, the white striping in the zebra will match well with the Maple frame. Maybe some walnut pegs if you are pegging any of the joints Or maybe walnut splines at mitered corners of the lid. It might help pull the white and brown elements together.

was thinking of Ebony but Walnut would work better in terms of the Zebrawood/Maple mix. Russ