Edge glue particle board??

Have some 1 3/4" birch solid core doors I plan to use to make a work top. To get the best of each door I need to rip them and glue the pieces together. This will require edge gluing of the particle board cores. Before I cut these, is edge gluing of particle board practical? What is the best glue to use? I think Titebond II will soak into the PB and not make a strong joint. Am I right?
Thanks MB
carpenters yellow or polyurethane glue will work. It wont be the tightest joint but should suffice.
JLucas ILS wrote:

You might consider adding dowels for a bit of additional structural strength.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

With that in mind, try a hardwood spline instead to support the entire length. About 1/2" into each should do.
Bill.
nevems2 wrote:

If the Titebond does soak in, let it dry a few minutes and add more glue. That should give you sufficient holding power.     mahalo,     jo4hn
I'd think about using a spline A TS could cut the dado. Or maybe use a router and biscuit blade to make the grooves, in which case you'd want some thin wood crosscut into strips so the grain of the spline would be across the joint. Or maybe just a bunch of biscuits. I used two rows on 2" pine counter tops. The router method would probably give the best alignment of the surfaces, which is important. Clamp on some straight pieces of 2X4 to keep the surface planar while setting up. Wilson

Why is it that you have to rip and re-glue at all? What's wrong with using the door as is for a top--it should already be as flat as you'll get it, so what you suggest doesn't make sense to me. You must have something in mind that I'm not envisioning.
Curious, H.

Regular yellow glue works fine. Just put enough on. Use pocket screws to hold it together.