Edge banding question

Greetings, All!
I am trying edge banding for first time and I'm find excess thermal adhesive on the work piece after I trim it. I can sand, file or rub most of it off but is there an easier was to remove the excess. Or, am I doing something wrong (i.e.: too much heat, Improper pressure?) or am I just using a crappy brand (Rockler)? Thanks for your advice.
Steve H