Ecogate DC Controller

A search gives me quite a few hits on "Ecogate" from this group. Hope my questions below haven't been answered before....
Are there any competitors to Ecogate (http://www.ecogate.com /)? By that I mean, companies that have tool activated blast gate opening and duct collection power on/off?
One post said the vibration sensors aren't very good -- use the toroidal sensors, instead. Hmm. According to Ecogate's web page, the toroidal sensors only work on machines with motors no larger than 2 HP. My Unisaw is 3 HP. Does the Unisaw have enough vibration to allow the vibration sensor to work.
I have a vacuum system to my Unisaw, a 2 HP bandsaw, and a 6 inch Jet jointer. ANy wods of wisdom on using Ecogate (or their competitor) on these tools? BTW, my other tools are hooked up to a Fein Turbo II - I move them around a lot in my tiny shop.
This one is not tool activated but is instead blast gate activated. It's also a fraction of the cost of the Ecogate system. Gene http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?DeptID 97&FamilyIDP31

I have had the Ecogate for 5 or 6 years and love it.
Pat said: "I ahve had the Ecogate for 5 or 6 years and love it."
Pat, do you have the toroidal sensors or the vibration sensors? I'm wondering if the vibration sensors will work on my smooth Unisaw, Lahuna bandsaw, and jet jointer. I'm buiding Norm's "New Improved Router table" and want to hook my dust collection system to it, too.
I have 8 stations, 7 are the vibration sensors and 1 is toroidal for the router table and other portable tools like sanders on a pegboard topped dust table. The vibration sensor work on my table saw, which is a heavy duty German saw. I would guess it would be no problem on a unisaw. I recommend Ecogate and am very happy that I got it. I put off getting a dust control system for years. My only regret is that I didn't get it sooner.
Thanks Gene and Pat for your responses. It surprises me that more people in this group haven't used Ecogate (or something similar) since there are numerous posts about ways to save time. People use extraordinary means to make woodworking easier and faster but apparently many still open the desired blast gate, close the others, turn on the dust collection system, walk over to the tool, turn on the tool, make the cut, turn the tool off, walk over to the dust collection system, turn it off, or open another gate, close the one that was open and so on....
I see elaborate homebuilt router tables, panel saws, and jigs but only two responses on an automated dust collection system. Hmmm.
Never Enough Money wrote:

I think two factors predominate here...
1. Shop-wide DC isn't very common overall for hobby-type ww'er, and 2. $$$
on 6/15/2005 9:04 AM Duane Bozarth said the following:

Gotta agree although I hope to increase that number by one this summer<g>

Automated, perhaps. Remote? Hell, what's $60 or so to control either a 110v or 220v DC? Carry the remote on one of the reel type key chains and you're good to go.
Does this remote control the blast gates or jsut the dust collection system? Where does one find such a remote?
on 6/15/2005 11:06 AM Never Enough Money said the following:

If that was directed at my post, the remotes I've seen control ONLY the DC. Check Rockler's, Woodcraft. I think that's where I've seen them. I know they're out there and I've seen them within the past month or so at that price range.
on 6/15/2005 11:06 AM Never Enough Money said the following:

Whoopsie! Here you go, Woodcraft has them and I was a tad high on the price
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyIDQ17
I don't like that type of key fob transmitter. Far too easy for me to lose. My transmitter is about 5 times that size and I still lose the damn thing.

"Unquestionably Confused" < snipped-for-privacy@ameritech.net> wrote in message

Wow! I'm not sure if I can part with my 88 inch piece of 1X1 maple I use as my DC remote control. Blast gates? Even though I have (since 1997) a 2hp JET with twin intakes I can't remember ever having uncapped the second one. Doesn't everyone reach under the table saw and then relocate the hose to the joiner? And, I can't use the TS anyway when I have the portable planer set up on top of it.
--
"New Wave" Dave In Houston

On 15 Jun 2005 09:06:42 -0700, "Never Enough Money"

=============Before I lost my remote I asked that same question every... (where do I one find such a remote ?...or where the He** did I lay it down now?...
Neighbor is an electrician and he hard wired my DC and intalled 8 switches around my shop so I never have to take more then 2-3 steps to fire the DC up or turn it off... does not work with the blast gates ... back to square one on those...
Bob G.

I bought a used Ecogate controller off Ebay, but I haven't had time to install the ductwork for my dust collector yet. I can't comment on performance since I haven't used it yet.
I think most hobby woodworkers would rather buy another tool that actually touches the wood instead for the $450 the Ecogate costs.
Brian Elfert
I have been told that the last three issues of Woodwork magazine has covered building electrically activated dust collection systems and blast gates. However, I haven't been able to find the magazine.....I'll see if the library carries it.