Ebony on Guitar Fretboard

I wanted to ask some cleaning advice from the experts in this newsgroup. I have an electric guitar with an ebony fretboard. I want to clean this ebony without having adverse effects on the wood like shrinking or expanding as this could be a disaster on the frets. What would you advise to do this ? The manufacturer (Peavey) is vague on cleaners and wants me to buy their cleaning products (of course). I just wanted to see if there were any products I could use that are readily available before buying direct from the manufacturer.
My thanks in advance.
Chris
Skyway wrote:

You could also ask in rec.music.makers.builders
Good idea and thank you : )

Short of dipping the thing in the bathtub Chris, you can use just about anything you'd like. You won't cause any of the harm you are afraid of. I've used Murphy's Oil Soap, Formby's cleaner, and a host of other products. Any wood cleaning product will work and a simple mild soap and water will work. If you use a soap and water solution, just be sure to wipe it off with a clean water wipe to get rid of the soap afterwards. I generally throw a nice coat of lemon oil on it afterwards, allow it to sit (sometimes overnight), wipe off the excess, and throw some new strings on.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Skyway wrote:

Mild cleaner, that's it. NO OILS. You won't like what oil or wax will do to your strings (especially the bass strings)

I do use lemon oil on my fret boards. I've never noticed a problem in doing so. I apply a pretty good coat of it - sometimes a real good coat of it, depending on how dry it is at that time of year, and then I wipe off excess. Never had a string problem owing to oil. Now such products as String-Eze, or the likes are a different story. Many of them contain silicone and should be avoided like the plague.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Chris:
Go to the Chetboard web site. The pickers there will steer you right:
http://misterguitar.com/cgi-bin/chetboard.pl
Smitty