Ebay: Someone is making a killing on a plane.

Not advertising just astonished.

delete the & in addressing replies.

Reply to
Michael Hastings

"Someone is making a killing on a plane." Alert Homeland Security!

Reply to
igor

I am sorry for the poor choice of wording. I guess it is just the age we live in now. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Reply to
Michael Hastings

Michael Hastings reports:

added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an unidentified old plane, but long ways from a record.

Could be someone knows a lot more than we do, though.

Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

Reply to
Charlie Self

It's like yelling "Hi, Jack" to your friend over in seat 7D. Your post gave me a chuckle. -- Igor

Reply to
igor

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't run up by a seller's buddy. Ebay has recently procecuted a group of sellers for doing that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Yes it is legit, Birdsill Holly patented in 1852 the earliest metallicplane patents and the first to have a metal cap and not a wooden wedge.So you can imagine how rare this plane is pre-civil war,the two example that I saw fetch around 2 to 3 k, Greetings

Reply to
martin

unidentified old

About 12 years ago, at my mother's request, I sold off all of my father's old planes and they came from his father's collection. It was some 20-30 pieces. I sold the whole group for $1000. The internet was too new at the time to access information like there is in this group. It makes me sick to think what these planes were probably worth. Just another regret of mine to pile on with all the others. At least benefit of the internet will give me a chance to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Reply to
Upscale

Google brings this up:

like a little known but very busy inventor. There were other hits for non-WWg things like pumps.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

More Holly Paten planes...

"Here's an example that falls into the category of "You never heard of this guy, but your life is better because of him." It was a Holly's patent jointer made by Silsby, Race & Holly, Seneca Falls, New York, and patented July 6, 1852. The firm operated between 1848 and 1859. This piece, with a wooden insert on the back of the handle, fetched a mid-estimate $1100. The patentee, Birdsill Holly, was a prolific inventor, with about 150 U.S. patents to his credit, many of them centered on mechanical engineering, hydraulics, and fire-fighting equipment. If you drink water from a municipal system, it gets to your tap courtesy of a system based on a Holly design."

Reply to
Neil Ward

That item number is no longer on Ebay. Looks like it was removed by Ebay.

P.T.

Reply to
P.H. Thorsted

What are you talking about? It's still there. They don't remove completed auctions for 90 days.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Reply to