Ebay: Someone is making a killing on a plane.

Not advertising just astonished.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 874&item6131882517&rd=1
Please delete the & in addressing replies.
"Someone is making a killing on a plane." Alert Homeland Security!

I am sorry for the poor choice of wording. I guess it is just the age we live in now. I will try to be more careful in the future.
--
Michael Hastings
1 Thess 4:11 ... make it your ambition to lead a quiet life

It's like yelling "Hi, Jack" to your friend over in seat 7D. Your post gave me a chuckle. -- Igor
Michael Hastings reports:

Me, too. It claims to be a Holly's Patent plane, but I have no idea if that's added value or not. It is an astounding amount of money for an unidentified old plane, but long ways from a record.
Could be someone knows a lot more than we do, though.
Charlie Self "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing." Redd Foxx

About 12 years ago, at my mother's request, I sold off all of my father's old planes and they came from his father's collection. It was some 20-30 pieces. I sold the whole group for $1000. The internet was too new at the time to access information like there is in this group. It makes me sick to think what these planes were probably worth. Just another regret of mine to pile on with all the others. At least benefit of the internet will give me a chance to prevent the same thing from happening again.
Charlie Self wrote:

Google brings this up: http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/articles/aug04/toolauction0804.htm http://www.mjdtools.com/auction/graphics/a77151.htm
Looks like a little known but very busy inventor. There were other hits for non-WWg things like pumps.
Dave in Fairfax
--
Dave Leader
reply-to doesn't work
Charlie Self wrote:

http://www.mjdtools.com/auction/graphics/a77151.htm http://www.maineantiquedigest.com/articles/aug04/toolauction0804.htm
"Here's an example that falls into the category of "You never heard of this guy, but your life is better because of him." It was a Holly's patent jointer made by Silsby, Race & Holly, Seneca Falls, New York, and patented July 6, 1852. The firm operated between 1848 and 1859. This piece, with a wooden insert on the back of the handle, fetched a mid-estimate $1100. The patentee, Birdsill Holly, was a prolific inventor, with about 150 U.S. patents to his credit, many of them centered on mechanical engineering, hydraulics, and fire-fighting equipment. If you drink water from a municipal system, it gets to your tap courtesy of a system based on a Holly design."
That item number is no longer on Ebay. Looks like it was removed by Ebay.
P.T.
On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 19:17:18 -0500, Neil Ward wrote:

What are you talking about? It's still there. They don't remove completed auctions for 90 days.
GTO(John)

The link may not be working for you by clicking it (it didn't for me): not only did I have to cut&paste the second line worth of information onto the first bit but the equals sign at the end of the first line was being dropped as well. Let's see if I can make a better link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 874&itema31882517&rd=1

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't run up by a seller's buddy. Ebay has recently procecuted a group of sellers for doing that.
Bob
Yes it is legit, Birdsill Holly patented in 1852 the earliest metallicplane patents and the first to have a metal cap and not a wooden wedge.So you can imagine how rare this plane is pre-civil war,the two example that I saw fetch around 2 to 3 k, Greetings
-- Knowledge speaks, wisdom listen..... Jimi Hendrix