Ebay prices crack me up!

Page 5 of 6

Brian Henderson wrote:

Shipping isn't tax-free.
er
--
email not valid

In the state of Minnesota, sales tax is not charged on shipping costs if it is listed strictly as shipping charges. If it is listed as shipping and handling then tax applies on the S&H charges.
Vehicles have special sales tax provisions and you probably couldn't avoid sales tax by claiming a really high shipping charge.
Brian Elfert
Toller wrote:

[uh, I think I got that right...]

It's dishonest especially when the seller has somehow misrepresented the item such that it doesn't have the value to you you thought it did... and the seller won't reimburse you for the "shipping" charges. It happens.
Ebay rules to live by:
1. 98.5% feedback is marginal, you have a good chance of being disappointed if you bid on this ID's item. This is hard to judge though, being stochastic, especially when the ID has less than several hundred sales.
2. Read the feedback. If it's marginal it may be because some whiny fussbudgets needed their swing at the world. Conversely, people are insanely reluctant to leave negative feedback, but may drop hints in the comments. I have a comment to make about some chisels I got recently but I've never left negative feedback (I follow these rules :) and am about to break that record... severe pitting and deep toolmarks that were neither pictured nor described.* :(
3. Only bid on stuff you can calculate the final cost out of your pocket for. Obviously it's nice to know what you're going to pay, and knowing the max amount you're willing to pay you can adjust your bid accordingly.
4. If it smells like bad fish, it probably is bad fish.
5. Know the value of what you're bidding on.
6. If you're unsure about something, ask (before the last two days of the auction...)
7. Don't bid on poorly photographed or inadequately described items. This is the hard one. "Good condition", "great user", etc., seem to have very different meaning for some people than for myself.
8. Don't let that stupid clown (who doesn't know what he's willing to pay for the item) know what you're willing to pay. :)
9. Pray to the gods of the shadows that a veil has been cast over that one item you must have, that no others will find it.
* Contact them? I haven't because what they did, or didn't do, is already done... I'm keeping the chisels because the pitting is far up the back of the chisel (they're 12" blades) and the toolmarks are cosmetic problems on something I got for using. But still, they were given a "shine" on a buffing wheel to make them look passably good for sale on ebay, and given the other items ID was selling they were obviously savvy to old-toolers requirements.
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

Probably the most important bit of advice. Like the guy that spends $59.95 on a magic cream that will grow hair on his bald spot in 10 days. When it doesn't, he feels ripped off. When the company jerks him around about a refund, he feels ripped off. In my opinion the dude ripped his own fool self off the minute he paid money for a magic cream that he KNEW wasn't going to work.
It never ceases to amaze me the mentality that some folk have. This way of thinking that absolves them of any responsibility when things go wrong. Buyer be ware. And as a great man once said... "If it smells like bad fish, it probably is bad fish."
-Joe Barta
And what should I bid to the guy that was selling labels for my Dymo Labelwriter for $9.99 and was charging $25 flat rate for shipment to Canada?
The snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com entity posted thusly:

Approximately $0.00 (Cdn), unless your Dymo labels usually cost a lot more than $35.
Not at all hard to figure out..

I don't know what those labels cost in a store, but I'd say you shouldn't bid if the combined price bothers you.
On 6 Jan 2006 21:43:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com wrote:

NEGATIVE $25
Does Ebay allow negative numbers in their bidding? I can buy 5 rolls of that label stuff at Walmart for $4.95, and for awhile they had an extra "free" roll in the pack, so 6 rolls for that price.
Not these labels you can't buy in Walmart, but appreciate the sentiment.
My brother in law bought a bicycle on ebay with a really high shipping and handling price (even for a bicycle). The only thing was he was from the same city as the seller and he told him he would pick it up. The seller demanded he have it shipped, my BIL said no, so the seller refused to go thru with the sale.
--
toolmiser

I was looking at Dell computers on Ebay before Christmas and saw lots of good prices. But, the price became ripoffs when shipping of $75 to $100 was added. I ended up buying from the Dell Outlet.
One seller even had a different price listed for local pickup that was like $50 higher than the regular Buy It Now price. He was basically adding on the profit he normally makes on shipping.
Brian Elfert

Unless the seller says he allows pickups, you are required to ask before bidding if you want to pick up. A number of people have refused to allow pickups or charged a handling charge. I asked first, so I didn't bid, and now filter their listings out. No big problem. I have never refused a pick up, though it has just happened once. It is easier than shipping, and worth forgoing my $5 handling charge. Obviously other sellers don't feel that way, but they have the right to run their auction any way they want, as long as they conform to eBay requirements. Your BIL deserves a negative feedback for backing out of a purchase; though I expect the seller just let it go because it wasn't worth the hassle.
they are only doing that to beat ebay out of thier fees

On 6 Jan 2006 13:26:16 -0800, canadian snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Actually, you need to report them to eBay. It is a violation of eBay rules to pad shipping costs like that and they will end auctions that do so if it's ridiculously obvious.
Brian Henderson wrote:

I just did a random check of shipping charges on Ebay. I looked up cell phones. Many of the shipping charges hover close to $40!
Dave
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:42:48 GMT, Brian Henderson

How do you report these issues to Ebay. I keep looking for the "Contact Us About This Item" or the "Report Ebay Violation" buttons but they seem to be eluding me..

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html
You have to open the "additonal information" tab. I agree they aren't going out of their way to make this accessible, but if they had a button on the auction page they'd get 100k complaints a day 5% of which would be valid.
You see the bogus shipping charges the most on things that there are a lot of competing sellers. Not only do they get more profit by avoiding fees, they get you to click on their auction instead of the other guys because of their lower price. Consequently everyone selling that item has to do it too.
If you look at postal scales, almost everyone is trying to charge you an additional fee for the a/c adapter that comes in the box.
-Leuf
Leuf wrote:

It must be a numbers game, because when I'm scanning my search results I don't look for the cheapest, I look at them all... *except* the ones that've already exceeded what I'm willing to spend. That is, I cull on the high side rather than selecting from the low side. That's somewhat different, I think.
er
--
email not valid

If you had to send the bottle or can of Boeshield to someone else in the USA how much would you have to spend to box and ship it? USPS, UPS or whatever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boeshield-T-9-Rustproof-Lubricant-Corrosion-Protection_W0QQitemZ7208488690QQcategoryZ27953QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
All and all It's what ever you can get. I never bid on items with high shipping or if I do I only bid what its worth as a deal with shipping combined. LET THE BUYER BEWARE