Ebay prices crack me up!

Page 4 of 6

Toller wrote:

I understand it perfectly. Confusion is not the problem.

So if I sold you a car for $100 and charged you a $15,000 delivery fee that wouldn't be lame? (and *of course* you can't pick it up dummy)
If I sell you a tire for $5 but I charge $80 for mounting and balancing.... that's not dishonest? (and no, you can't mount it yourself sir... all tires come with mounting and balancing as a courtesty)
Buy one widget for $10 and we'll throw in a second widget for FREE... just pay the shipping and handling (which happens to be $12.95... EACH)
It's not at all difficult to understand.... and if YOU want to do business with folks that play these games, that's your option. But when you get bit in the ass by one of them, I hope you don't complain too loudly because this guy won't be feelin no sympathy!
Joe Barta
P.S. And if you think it's just okie dokie to skate past ebay's fees... if someone were to use a loophole to skate past paying YOU what you might otherwise be owed, I wonder if you'd think it was perfectly ok.

Okay, the car costs $15,100. Is that lame or dishonest? Seems perfectly honest and straight forward to me.
And who said you can't pick it up? I sold a large piece of exercise equipment on Ebay. For anyone wanting it shipped I charged "the actual freight cost plus $50 handling" The buyer paid $355 for the machine, $50 for handling, and $65 for freight. The buyer knew the story before bidding and was delighted with her bargain. I didn't bother to figure out in advance what the shipping would be, because I assumed the buyer would be local and pick it up. Then there would be no freight and no handling. Was I lame or dishonest?

Well, lets see. The tire costs $85. And that is dishonest how?

How could I get bit when the cost is known to me before I bid? If I am too stupid or lazy to add in the shipping before bidding then I certainly deserve what I get.

Ebay doesn't seem to have a problem with people charging handling; they would just charge commission on the entire transaction rather than just the product if they cared. Why on earth do you? Or are you just trolling on this and I bit?
Toller wrote:

Then we're at an impasse. We'll leave it at that.

<sigh>

It's very dishonest when you realize that the seller is only paying "taxes" on the $100 and is getting the $15,000 completely tax-free because it's counted as shipping.

Most sellers on eBay won't allow you to pick up your merchandise even if you live next door to them. In fact, in all the years that I've been on eBay, I've only run into one person who would allow a personal pick up and that's because he had an actual physical store-front. Otherwise, you get it shipped, no matter what.
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 01:57:47 GMT, Brian Henderson

That depends on the tax.
Sales tax is not "paid" by a merchant, it's collected from the buyer and forwarded on to a taxing authority.
If the seller is keeping books, the $15,000 shipping charge would probably result in some sort of profit, which _can be_ taxable, depending on the structure of the business and the conditions on how the money is taken out of the business, such as owner's dividends, salaries, etc... <G>
Barry (being stupidly hypothetical, since we've moved to the stupidly hypothetical world...)
..

In this case, it's eBay's sellers fee. There isn't one on handling chargers.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:02:52 GMT, Ba r r y

I didn't say sales tax. I said tax, which in this analogy would be a lot closer to income tax.

You have to remember this is just an analogy. eBay charges "taxes" on the sales portion of the auction. By playing creative bookkeeping, some eBay sellers are screwing eBay out of their "taxes" by shifting the real cost of the item over to the shipping side and selling their products for a penny. eBay, of course, who is paying for the whole auction system, has every right to stomp on this practice, and they should do so. There is a cost to using the eBay auction site and being dishonest to make an additional profit that you are not entitled to should not be permitted.
Brian Henderson wrote:

Someone mentioned that there is no way ebay could keep an eye on all it's auctions to prevent such a thing from occuring. But it seems to me that it should be fairly simple to automate and report such things on their end.
Many of these sellers have multiple items and do this over and over. One would think it would be a simple matter to find auctions where there is a suspicious ratio between the sale price and the shipping charge. It could even be done while the auction is running if the seller has a buy it now price.
Once such auctions/sellers are flagged, ebay can manually take a closer look. I can't help but wonder why they don't watch this a little closer... seeing as it appears to cost them money. Or maybe it's a practice they tolerate because they want as many sellers as possible so that when people go looking for "it", there are plenty to choose from... even if they are cheated out of a little revenue.
At any rate, I still have a problem with such tactics on principle and avoid such sellers like the plague.
Joe Barta
"Joe Barta" < snipped-for-privacy@apk.net> wrote in message

That was actually me who said that. :)
And there are many items that legitimately have a high shipping cost, so just killing all auctions with a high cost doesn't make much sense. Does eBay require people to disclose shipping costs up front? I know most people list them, but is it a hard rule?
on 1/10/2006 6:45 PM Brian Henderson said the following:

AFAIK, there is no such rule. If there is, it certainly has not been enforced.
I certainly can see there being a measure of ambiguity with regard to shipping costs when you're talking about selling off a 45 lb widget. I cannot see it when you're talking about a DVD set, or something which is fairly light and "standard."
A wise buyer will simply ignore an offering in the latter category and not bid on it. In those cases, I think the presumption is you're going to take it in the butt in shipping charges.
For those goods in the former category or an item that's one of a kind, the buyer will inquire and get a somewhat firm committment regarding shipping costs before bidding. If he/she doesn't, they probably aren't bright enough to realize they've been had when they get that poke in the rear.
When I was looking for windows XP to upgrade one of my PC's, The best price (on ebay) I found was like 69.00 plus $15.00 shipping. The guy was upfront about making his profit from the shipping. Remember, Ebay takes a cut from the selling price, but not the shipping. This was for a full version, intended for OEM.
John
"It's very dishonest when you realize that the seller is only paying "taxes" on the $100 and is getting the $15,000 completely tax-free because it's counted as shipping."
Maybe somewhere that is true. But here in the U.S. that shipping revenue is included in the calculation of taxable profits. The seller most definitely is required to pay income tax on that income.