Ebay prices crack me up!

Page 3 of 6

Don't your customers have to "handle" it too? They have to take delivery (sometimes that means picking it up from UPS, USPS, etc.), unpack it, and dispose of the packing materials. Why can't you take your effort into account in the selling price?
Toller wrote:

wow - my S/H woes got more responses than I expected - no time to read through them all "_
Anyway, im not bitching about the person who charges a couple bucks handling fees - it makes sense and is fine to offset the cost/gas of going to the post office, time spent foing so, etc.
My complaint was soley for the people (and there are plenty of these on EBay) who try to hook you with a an item thats: - Worth around $50.00 - Auction is listed for $10.00 - And hope people wont notice the $75.00 shipping and handling fee.

Before Christmas, I was hoping to buy my wife a new computer chair. I checked Staples, Office Max and local stores, and found a couple that looked good, and were low cost. For giggles, I checked EBay. Yeah, right. Same chairs, 1/3 the price, and the shipping charge was almost exactly what Staples et. al. charge for the chair itself.
I didn't see any bids on that one, and I sure didn't make a bid.

I have no use for jerkoffs that sell a $20 item for $5 then charge $40 for shipping. They might as well have tattooed on their forehead... "I'm a dishonest putz but I don't have the wit or the courage to be any good at it." I never buy anything from those types because you don't know what other lame surprises are in store for you.
Joe Barta

I know guys who sold Xbox 360s at huge profits on Ebay before Christmas.
They charged $40 to $50 shipping and justified it as covering shipping, Ebay, and Paypal fees. The 50% to 100% profit they made couldn't cover the Ebay and Paypal fees??
Shipping fees should cover the cost to get something to me, not be a huge profit margin for the seller. Some sellers sell stuff for 1 cent and charge $19.95 shipping to get around Ebay fees as Ebay doesn't charge their cut on shipping.
Brian Elfert

Why doesn't e-bay go after them? I see a lot of this and it is blatently obvious that they are avoiding the e-bay fees.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

I never thought of that. I've sold stuff on ebay and I use Paypal.. the fees for both are pretty low. But I suppose if you sell a lot of stuff and start with a nearly full retail price, those fees might add up. I'm sure ebay is aware of this and either they don't care, or they'll do something about it eventually.
Capitalism... gotta love it :-)
Joe Barta
writes:

It is against one's user agreement with PayPal to "charge back" PayPal fees.

That's also contrary to eBay policy. I don't know why they don't crack down on it, since it's money out of their pocket.

todd

Hundred of thousands of auctions. Not sure how they could monitor such things on an item by item level without any complaints. They may do some sampling, however.

They weren't/aren't chargin back the Paypal fees. They are just justifying inflated shipping by saying they need to cover the Paypal and Ebay fees.

It may be against Ebay policy, but many sellers do it. There would probably be a seller rebellion if they started charging their cut on shipping as some sellers pass along true costs and some items cost hundreds to ship.
Brian Elfert

And you have to report it to PayPal and they'll do something about it.

Part of the problem is that eBay doesn't have enough people to watch the auctions and catch all of this without being told about it, and the other is that eBay's claim to fame is having millions of auctions going on. If it starts going after a lot of the small-time cheats, etc. they wouldn't be able to claim that.
If you take the time to report a violation to eBay, they will usually step in and stop it, but if you think they're going to go looking on their own, you're out of luck.
Brian Henderson wrote:

I'd think eBay is well aware of high shipping charges. Pretty obvious to the casual observer, even. 2006 might see some new Ebay rules.
Dave

It's a rule change I am also expecting, since it is costing the revenue. Like their rule change (a few years ago) on extra charges for the % PayPal gets (but only for high dollar/volume sellers)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

fees.
As is the way with most everthing, action will only get taken when someone points it out.

down
I have reported sellers to eBay who were jacking up shipping costs.
todd
writes:

I got a friend to Ebay some old books for me, stuff I hadn't looked at in a decade or more, but that was useful and costly when bought and might be useful to others. Most sold for $1.50 or so. I listed a flat $5 shipping, no deals. Most cost $1.40 for postage and a buck for the envelope. I "made" $2 or so extra on each book because of the postage...but I had to address the envelopes, drive them into town and stand in line to ship the suckers.
My decision: I'd rather throw the books away next time it happens. It's a PITA, got my buddy six or seven neutral feedbacks because of the shipping costs, and basically didn't bring in enough to cover the time and energy of entering the books on Ebay.
Charles Self wrote:

I don't understand this. Why not start the bidding at $3.50 and charge a $2.50 S/H fee?
er
--
email not valid

Enoch Root wrote:

He figgered what every other seller figgers... they'd sell more with a lower price. My have sold even more if he had just listed them as free with $6.50 shipping. Or maybe free, AND he'd throw in a $5 gift certificate for Dennys... just pay the $11.50 shipping. Nothing unethical about that, is there? Errthing up front, ain't it?
there's also the bit about return policy. I bought an external drive case- couple of bucks, 15 or so shipping. I thought, sleazy, but it adds up to the right amount, so I bought it. when it came, the case was badly sub-par quality. wouldn't recognize. the vendor's return policy was sale price refund only, and I have to pay shipping return. so I'd be paying $3 shipping to get a $2 refund.
lesson learned.

Geez, when you see an item you decide how much you want to pay for it; say $40. If shipping is $5 you bid $35. If shipping is $30 you bid $10. What is so damn hard about understanding that? And what is lame or dishonest about it?

e-bay does not collect a fee on "shipping". Let's say the "true" shipping and handling cost is $10. If you charge $30, you get $20 that is not dinged with a fee.
On another note, one technique I have found useful as a buyer is to query sellers for a 'best price to my doorstep'. I've used this technique when buying multiples of an item and usually query as many sellers as I can find selling the same or similar items. The seller then sets up a private auction for the agreed upon price. I have seen sellers load more than 50% of the quote into the shipping come auction time.