Ebay prices crack me up!

It just might be he only ships via UPS, their broker-rate to ship north tells me they don't want to do it. The Postal rate is quite cheap

However, there is a dodge that many eBay sellers are using, sell the item really cheap and make the profit on shipping/handling. Since eBay charges by sales price, with no charge for handling fees

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

They can be, depending on how they do it. I have no problem with a shipping and handling charge but they can be used in a bogus manor. In the case of these EBay sellers, many of them are using the S&H charge to both rip off PayPal and EBay as well as fool the buyer into thinking they are getting the item for less money. Another problem with this crap that may not apply to EBay so much but could happen is screwing you if you return it. You buy an interesting widget for the unbelievably low price of $19.99 but it has a $200 S&H charge. You the buyer reasons (like many in here have) as this thing is easily worth the $220 combined cost, probably more like $300 and it has a money back guarantee so who cares how the price is laid out. So you order it and it shows up a week later in perfect condition but it proves to be both an advertising scam and a piece of junk. No problem you say, it has a guarantee and send it back for your refund. The seller of course honors his commitment and sends you back a refund check ....... for $19.99. Hey, wait a minute, it cost you far more than that and you call the seller to get this corrected. His response is... I'm sorry Sir, but you paid $19.99 for the product which we fully refunded, the $200 was payment for our excellent shipping and handling service and is not refundable.

Reply to
TBone

Then we're at an impasse. We'll leave it at that.

Reply to
Joe Barta

We all have our own ideas about what is ethical and what exactly is a necessary service I suppose.

To me it's a simple matter. To me sellers that offer a low low price and make up for it with very high and mandatory "shipping & handling" charges are unethical and of low character... and buyer be very aware. You know who you are and you know full well that what you are doing is wrong. My opinion.

Reply to
Joe Barta

eBay is who these people are "cheating", and yes, when a seller lists and item for $1 and charges $50 for "shipping and handling" they are cheating eBay out of the fees that someone more ethical would be paying (and yes I have seen those exact numbers)

Reply to
Ralph E Lindberg

Actually, you need to report them to eBay. It is a violation of eBay rules to pad shipping costs like that and they will end auctions that do so if it's ridiculously obvious.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I just did a random check of shipping charges on Ebay. I looked up cell phones. Many of the shipping charges hover close to $40!

Dave

Reply to
David

The seller doesn't know what the price of the product is? Of course they do, they bought it and are now trying to sell it! If it costs them $10, then they should set the minimum bid no lower than $10. If they know it's going to cost them an additional $2 for shipping supplies, then they should set the minimum bid no lower than $12.

The problem is that these people are setting their minimum bids at $1, then charging $30 for shipping because they want to make up the profit for their item without having eBay charge them fees for it. If the auction goes to $20 and they charge $30 shipping, then they make $50 on the deal, rather than if the item went for $20 and they charged what it actually cost to ship, which might be $5.

In the end, shipping isn't supposed to be a way to make a profit, it's supposed to be a way to get the product to a customer.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

And you have to report it to PayPal and they'll do something about it.

Part of the problem is that eBay doesn't have enough people to watch the auctions and catch all of this without being told about it, and the other is that eBay's claim to fame is having millions of auctions going on. If it starts going after a lot of the small-time cheats, etc. they wouldn't be able to claim that.

If you take the time to report a violation to eBay, they will usually step in and stop it, but if you think they're going to go looking on their own, you're out of luck.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I'd think eBay is well aware of high shipping charges. Pretty obvious to the casual observer, even. 2006 might see some new Ebay rules.

Dave

Reply to
David

It's very dishonest when you realize that the seller is only paying "taxes" on the $100 and is getting the $15,000 completely tax-free because it's counted as shipping.

Most sellers on eBay won't allow you to pick up your merchandise even if you live next door to them. In fact, in all the years that I've been on eBay, I've only run into one person who would allow a personal pick up and that's because he had an actual physical store-front. Otherwise, you get it shipped, no matter what.

Reply to
Brian Henderson

I agree, if the S/H charges are listed, or seller states he won't charge a handling fee, it's possible to figure out what your max bid will be. It's a feature.

Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I don't understand this. Why not start the bidding at $3.50 and charge a $2.50 S/H fee?

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

I was responding to an earlier comment that no one should ever charge "handling" fees of any kind. Obviously, eBayers participating in final value fee avoidance by charging very high shipping costs should be killed. I'm talking about adding a few bucks to the actual shipping cost as a handling charge. What difference does it make if it's included in the price of the product or not? Either way, the buyer pays. Anyone who thinks the buyer doesn't pay is kidding himself. As long as it isn't excessive, I don't see a problem.

todd

Reply to
todd

As is the way with most everthing, action will only get taken when someone points it out.

I have reported sellers to eBay who were jacking up shipping costs.

todd

Reply to
todd
[uh, I think I got that right...]

It's dishonest especially when the seller has somehow misrepresented the item such that it doesn't have the value to you you thought it did... and the seller won't reimburse you for the "shipping" charges. It happens.

Ebay rules to live by:

  1. 98.5% feedback is marginal, you have a good chance of being disappointed if you bid on this ID's item. This is hard to judge though, being stochastic, especially when the ID has less than several hundred sales.

  1. Read the feedback. If it's marginal it may be because some whiny fussbudgets needed their swing at the world. Conversely, people are insanely reluctant to leave negative feedback, but may drop hints in the comments. I have a comment to make about some chisels I got recently but I've never left negative feedback (I follow these rules :) and am about to break that record... severe pitting and deep toolmarks that were neither pictured nor described.* :(

  2. Only bid on stuff you can calculate the final cost out of your pocket for. Obviously it's nice to know what you're going to pay, and knowing the max amount you're willing to pay you can adjust your bid accordingly.

  1. If it smells like bad fish, it probably is bad fish.

  2. Know the value of what you're bidding on.

  1. If you're unsure about something, ask (before the last two days of the auction...)

  2. Don't bid on poorly photographed or inadequately described items. This is the hard one. "Good condition", "great user", etc., seem to have very different meaning for some people than for myself.

  1. Don't let that stupid clown (who doesn't know what he's willing to pay for the item) know what you're willing to pay. :)

  2. Pray to the gods of the shadows that a veil has been cast over that one item you must have, that no others will find it.

  • Contact them? I haven't because what they did, or didn't do, is already done... I'm keeping the chisels because the pitting is far up the back of the chisel (they're 12" blades) and the toolmarks are cosmetic problems on something I got for using. But still, they were given a "shine" on a buffing wheel to make them look passably good for sale on ebay, and given the other items ID was selling they were obviously savvy to old-toolers requirements.

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

"Can any sellers say whether Ebay charges extra to have the shipping calculator on your page? "

IIRC Ebay does not charge to have the shipping calculator. They also allow the seller to add a handling fee in the calculation and that fee doesn't appear separately in the calculated shipping cost the buyer sees.

It is wrong in my opinion to fault a seller for adding a REASONABLE charge for packing materials into the equation.

Reply to
A.M. Wood