Ebay prices crack me up!

Page 2 of 6

..

Not one penny, nor do they charge a fee on "handling" charges
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

Thanks. If they don't use that, or a flat fee, then no way.
er
--
email not valid

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

And therein lies the catch. I have E bay sellers with items listed as $1.00 buy it now, but postage and handling is $25.00. E bay collects on the $1.00 and the seller makes 100% of the postage and handling, less the postage. BTW these items on another site had postage at $3.75 US. regards John

I have never used the shipping calculator. I just use a flat fee that sometimes makes me a few bucks and sometimes I lose a few bucks depending on the buyer's location.
The shipping calculator can have handling fees added to the actual cost of shipping. This way, the seller can rip off all buyers equally! With fixed shipping, the shipping "profit" can be more or less depending on the actual shipping charges.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

Yes, but at least I can see what I'm going to pay...
OT: The marvel of the ebay system is that what I end up paying is determined by what someone else decides he or she wants to pay, modulo what I will pay.
er
--
email not valid

"It's unethical, in my opinion to break out a separate (additional) charge for "handling" when that cost should be a part of the cost of the product."
That is idiotic for a number of reasons.
There is absolutely NOTHING unethical about charging a fee for a necessary service as long as the fee is disclosed in advance. It is also not a "scam." Only a moron believes they are scammed when they are told that shipping costs $x.xx if they buy something.
Simple math will prove that $19 for a product + $1 for shipping = $20 just like is $15 for a product + $5 for shipping = $20. Now maybe some people are fooled by the difference and feel a whole lot better and I'm certain the advertisers just love having those kind of folks around. However the rest of us don't much care about anything more than the all-in cost of $20, because that's what we are paying.
If you had ever shipped anything you would know that it costs money to buy packing tape, boxes and bubble wrap. People get really pissed off when the stuff they bought arrives damaged because it wasn't properly packaged.
"I have no use for jerkoffs that sell a $20 item for $5 then charge $40 for shipping."
The only jerkoff is the one who can't clearly see that they are paying $45 for a $20 item and go ahead and make the purchase.
"Don't your customers have to "handle" it too? "
Yes they do. And they are more then welcome to bill themselves for their trouble.
A.M. Wood wrote:

In my case I won't buy from any seller who has to resort to that kind of tactic because it screams "DON'T TRUST THIS PERSON". If a traditional store with an on-line service can deliver a washing machine for $30, why do some ebay sellers require the same amount for an item that will fit in your mail box?
We know that ratings and feedback on ebay are no longer credible guides to a buyer/seller's integrity. Common sense has to rule. From now on whenevr I see one of these obvious overcharges, the seller is going to get a pointed comment which will also be copied in to ebay.
FoggyTown
A.M. Wood wrote:

We all have our own ideas about what is ethical and what exactly is a necessary service I suppose.
To me it's a simple matter. To me sellers that offer a low low price and make up for it with very high and mandatory "shipping & handling" charges are unethical and of low character... and buyer be very aware. You know who you are and you know full well that what you are doing is wrong. My opinion.

eBay is who these people are "cheating", and yes, when a seller lists and item for $1 and charges $50 for "shipping and handling" they are cheating eBay out of the fees that someone more ethical would be paying (and yes I have seen those exact numbers)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org

else
it.
Well, it's a little harder to build the price in on an auction. Since the seller doesn't know what the final price will be, it makes sense for the shipping and handling to be factored in by the buyer. I think it's different for a seller who auctions something here and there than it is for an established business who actually knows their fixed and variable costs and can factor them into the sales price. For me, I take the actual shipping cost and throw in $2 for supplies. I don't think it's unethical to break out a handling cost. What I think is unethical is one of the other stories in this thread where the bidder asked for the shipping cost prior to bidding and then when the auction is over a handling charge is sneaked in.
todd

The seller doesn't know what the price of the product is? Of course they do, they bought it and are now trying to sell it! If it costs them $10, then they should set the minimum bid no lower than $10. If they know it's going to cost them an additional $2 for shipping supplies, then they should set the minimum bid no lower than $12.
The problem is that these people are setting their minimum bids at $1, then charging $30 for shipping because they want to make up the profit for their item without having eBay charge them fees for it. If the auction goes to $20 and they charge $30 shipping, then they make $50 on the deal, rather than if the item went for $20 and they charged what it actually cost to ship, which might be $5.
In the end, shipping isn't supposed to be a way to make a profit, it's supposed to be a way to get the product to a customer.

the
for
in.
I was responding to an earlier comment that no one should ever charge "handling" fees of any kind. Obviously, eBayers participating in final value fee avoidance by charging very high shipping costs should be killed. I'm talking about adding a few bucks to the actual shipping cost as a handling charge. What difference does it make if it's included in the price of the product or not? Either way, the buyer pays. Anyone who thinks the buyer doesn't pay is kidding himself. As long as it isn't excessive, I don't see a problem.
todd

The handling fee should be part of the purchase price. You don't go to a store and get charged a handling fee, do you? After all, they have to pay someone to put the product on the shelf, don't they? They have to pay someone to ring up your purchase and put it in the bag? Should they charge you a packaging fee too?
The Brian Henderson entity posted thusly:

A few years back, I bid successfully on a tele-extender for a camera. The bidding started at $1.00, with free shipping. I bid $15, but since nobody else bid, I got it for $1.00.
Well, I felt a bit bad about it, as the fellow had obviously thought it was going to go high enough to pay for his free shipping. I ended up sending him $10.00
My point in this is that there really are a few ways to do it.
1. bidding starts at $1, shipping set at $5, handling set at $2 2. bidding starts at $3, shipping set at $5, no handling charge 3. bidding starts at $8, no shipping charge, no handling charge
Is there any difference to the buyer here? #1 ensures the seller will recoup his expenses, without having to set a reserve. I look at the entire package when I decide what to bid, and I don't much care whether the cost is listed in column A or column B.
I tend not to bid on items that have all the cost in the shipping and handling, but that's because it usually means that the overall price is too high. To me, that's a regular sale, not an auction, and I resent paying more for it than the current market stipulates through the bidding process.

killed.
price
the
Would you feel better if it was buried in the price of the part? Does that make you think you aren't paying it? I really don't see the problem as long as a) it isn't excessive and b) it's fully disclosed. Most people with a high school education should be able to do the math. Do you believe mail order places should not charge for shipping? After all, when you go to Best Buy and purchase a television, they don't add a shipping charge, do they? Yet the television had to be shipped there, so Amazon is cheating people by charging shipping, right?
todd

Unless a mail order company drop ships from the manufacturer, they had to pay shipping to a warehouse somewhere somehow. This is no different than a retail store paying to have stock shipped to them.
Brian Elfert
writes:

Best
by
So you agree that Amazon, Dell, etc. are dishonest because they break out a shipping charge when B&M stores absorb it in the product cost? Heck, I bet even Lee Valley charges shipping.
todd

Oftentimes, it is excessive. Last night, for example, my wife was looking for a USB cable for her cell phone. Lots of people are selling them, most starting around $20 with shipping around $4. But there are a couple people who are selling them for $4 with shipping at $25. All of those are "BUY IT NOW" prices. Certainly it doesn't cost *ANYONE* $25 to ship a USB cable, they are just making extra money off the buyer ($5 additional over other sellers) and extra money off eBay. In short, they're ripping everyone off.
It's called having character. Too bad so many people have none.
Every buy something from a traditional retailer or catalog warehouse then have it shipped? There is usually a shipping AND handling charge. Are these merchants being unethical?

They can be, depending on how they do it. I have no problem with a shipping and handling charge but they can be used in a bogus manor. In the case of these EBay sellers, many of them are using the S&H charge to both rip off PayPal and EBay as well as fool the buyer into thinking they are getting the item for less money. Another problem with this crap that may not apply to EBay so much but could happen is screwing you if you return it. You buy an interesting widget for the unbelievably low price of $19.99 but it has a $200 S&H charge. You the buyer reasons (like many in here have) as this thing is easily worth the $220 combined cost, probably more like $300 and it has a money back guarantee so who cares how the price is laid out. So you order it and it shows up a week later in perfect condition but it proves to be both an advertising scam and a piece of junk. No problem you say, it has a guarantee and send it back for your refund. The seller of course honors his commitment and sends you back a refund check ....... for $19.99. Hey, wait a minute, it cost you far more than that and you call the seller to get this corrected. His response is... I'm sorry Sir, but you paid $19.99 for the product which we fully refunded, the $200 was payment for our excellent shipping and handling service and is not refundable.