Ebay Mavens?

Page 1 of 3
I'm getting ready to put a bunch of tools and such up on Ebay.
I know there's a passel of Ebay aficionados here on the Wreck and I am soliciting their advice/advise.
What do I need to know?
Thanks for the advise/advice.
1- they've got a short, but pretty informative "tutorial"--worth the time!! 2- have all the info, including pictures ready ahead of time! 3- Check with USPS in advance so you'll know the approximate cost of shipping and insurance! Seriously----check out their tutorials!!! GL
-- In golf, it's not the score that counts--it's the company!

Anything a fellah setting up a new shop might be interested in, or is it all professional humongo industrial-sized stuff?
Michael
Lots of pictures if possible. An accurate description and if you don't know what it will cost to ship an item, state that the buyer will pay only actual shipping costs. I no longer bid on an item unless the seller states shipping amount in the ad or makes the above statement.

Best regards
Han
email address is invalid
Be very honest with your descriptions, so your buyers won't give you any negative feedback. People put a lot of weight behind sellers feedback ratings when it comes time to decide whether to bid on your items or not. Good luck, Mark P.S. How about a shipping discount for wreckers???
Tom Watson wrote:

Tom Watson wrote:

names, and of course the most commonly used name for the tool (or better yet, multiple names for the tool)

But, don't put extra brand names in the description just so your item comes up when someone searches for another brand name.
If I'm searching for a Powermatic table saw, I want Powermatic items to come up. Not Craftsman, not Jet, and not Delta.
Brian Elfert

That's known as "keyword spamming" and is against eBay rules.
There's a few idiots that put "Starrett Clone" and "Starrett Copy" that I recently reported for clogging my searches. <G>
Barry
Barry:

Someone (LRod?) the other day was complaining about Bibb Tool's keyword spamming. Bibb Tool buys eBay banner space. I suppose if you wanted to do it and get away with it...
UA100

Message: Seller is keyword spamming, a practice specifically prohibited by eBay. http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-keywords.html
Search for "Powermatic planer" in titles & descriptions turns up item 2595484134, which is a JET brand planer, not Powermatic. JET and Powermatic have the same parent company, but they are NOT the same brand. Powermatic is the parent company's high-end brand, whereas JET is their low-end brand. Listing this tool as a "JET Powermatic" is akin to listing a Chevy Corsica as a "Chevrolet Cadillac".
and got this response from eBay today:
Thank you for contacting eBay about item #2595484134.
I have reviewed the information you sent us regarding a possible violation of our guidelines. At this point I do not have enough evidence to show that the member has violated any current eBay listing policies. Therefore, no action will be taken at this time on this issue.
Doug Miller wrote:

:-)
UA100
On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 00:08:31 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yeah, it was me. I didn't even get a response. However, when I did a "powermatic" search the other day, there were NO jet powermatic hits, and Bibb had at least three tools on there. Of course, for some reason he never puts jet on his powermatic tools...
- - LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Tom, Do a 'search' for the items you intend to list. This will give you an idea as to which categories they are in - as in should you list in more than one ?
Also, how are the items described - I've seen identical items actually SELLING for both low & high prices, the only difference seeming to be the text.
Sometimes having a LOW 'starting' price - with a 'reserve' of 85 percent of what YOU WANT is the way to go.
DON'T get 'antsy' when you don't see bids - sometimes nothing happens until the LAST DAY or so.
DO follow the 'tricks' to paragraphing & fonts.
Regards, Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop [You have my telephone number & e-address - - - give me a call or drop me a note for particulars - - - I've sold a lot of my shooting & photography stuff. Even an old steamer trunk that an 'antique dealer' said no one would buy]

Tom Watson wrote:

What you may already know is any numbnutz can sell and buy on eBay. In other words, got credit card?
Now, as for presentation, this is where the vast majority of "amateur" eBayers fall down. It's actually simple really. If I may?
First, the eBay Kisses of Death (eKoD):
1) No or a bad picture. A bad picture is as bad as no picture. Take a minute to clean up and crop a picture. Lighten them as need be and please, please, please don't have the item back lit as in, "let's put it over here in the doorway where the sunlight will shine on it". Also, we don't care about your cats, don't need to see them in the picture and, well, don't like your cats. Also, remove all the crap that's piled on top of the item before shooting it. Bring home some cardboard, the stuff that comes on top of the 4' X 8' units of particleboard at work and make a makeshift background. Though we like to see your shop, it makes for a cornfusing picture when it's all jumbled together.
2) No or bad description. An over described item will also cut down on the number of questions e-mailed to you. Do your research. As a for instance, you have a Yankee screwdriver. Is it a pre-Stanley North Bros. or a post North Bros. Stanley?
3) Pick up only. You've cut the number of likely bidders to those capable of or willing enough to make the drive to Spotsylvania.
Second, key words, disclaimers and the fine print:
1) Use as many words as possible that may be on someone's list of search key words. For instance, a Rockwell saw is a Rockwell saw but teknikally it's also a Delta. Also, is it a pre-Stanley North Bros. or a post North Bros. Stanley? See how I was able to get in key words that may not have been present had I not done the research.
2) Purposeful misspellings or altered spelling. There are band saws and there are bandsaws. There is Delta and there is Delat. Any of these will bring back hits.
3) State very clearly all the things that people don't take the time to read like, "This item weighs a gazillion pounds and ships via USPS from zip code XXXXX". It also doesn't hurt to state that you don't do postal calcs prior to the auction's end and that the prospective winners should visit the USPS site for rates. You don't want to be chasing rates down for people who will then decide they don't want to pay $5 to get it from there to here and don't bother to bid.
4) Use the word B*tch*n to describe the item. Don't ask, just do it. And, always end the auction with PEACE!!!
For some examples of well thought out and written auctions that didn't take a long time to compose (some same text cut and pasted from one auction to the next) visit this auction page.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item#80778584
Click on the link at the upper right to see other well thought out and written auctions.

Not a prob.
UA100

"Condition of this item is considered to be very"
ummmh, very what?
JMWEBER987 wrote:

Good eye. One of the problems of per-writing the text and not following through with a good proof read.
None the less, the seller is happy with what the item is currently bid up to and thinks that it wouldn't be bid to that without the thorough research done.
UA100
Snip

intentionally search for items that have misspellings in the description. E.g. a (like) new Unisaw went for like $400 because it was listed as "tablesaw" rather than "table saw."
If you can hit a lick just right, you can get as much as the new retail value of some items. People freak out the last hour of an auction or so and your blurfl that has 2 bids on it will go to like, 50 bids the last hour. Go figure.
Good luck, Tom.
-Phil Crow
Phil Crow wrote:

Not to disagree but my explanation of this is, a smart bidder won't draw attention to something by ramping up the bid. I mean, the auction ends at a pre-determined time. There's no need to exert anything until it's necessary.
I also think that there might be a sub-culture who wait and watch to see what's being bid on and attach a value to that. In other words, "Hey! There are five guys here bidding on this. Maybe I oughtta". Yeah, it's a stretch and a view into the shallower end of the gene pool...
Me? I load a snipe, go to work, go to bed, go about my business and let the chips fall where they may. Snipes do show up as one of those "last minute bid-ups" but I'm not there frantically hitting the Bid button ten/five/four/three/two/one seconds before bidding ends.
UA100
I wasn't aware this was possible. How do you do it?
Art