Ebay makes me laugh

Page 1 of 2
Want a complete cabinet shop?!? Somethings are too funny; look at this Ebay listing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%64693265&category 810
Cheers, Gary
Gary Greenberg wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%64693265&category 810
At least he's offered to help load your semi.
Doesn't look like its worth even 1/4 the asking price. All that stuff just jumbled into a self-storage stall.
    Greetings and Salutations.

    Hum...I saw that list, and, after a quick check on it, I suspect that it would all fit nicely on a 24' truck from Ryder/U-Haul. It also KIND of looks like that bid amount was calculated by taking the current, full retail price for everything. Not rational when dealing with used equipment like that. Now...If they had set a reserve of 15k, and an opening bid of $1.00, I suspect that there would have been a frenzy of bidding. Shucks, there are several tools there I would *LIKE* to have, but, not at those prices.     Regards     Dave Mundt
Notice some of it is Delta as well. Not that anything is wrong with that because I own several Delta tools, but that's because they are cheap.
Definitely not worth $26k. Guess someone is trying to pay off a crack habit in one shot.
wrote:

0
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:29:23 -0500, "Halon1211"

DJ-20's certainly are cheap. <G>
Barry
I'm Curious what is so funny, it says estate sale which means someone died and it looks like whomever it was probably spent years building up which appears to be a pretty well equipped shop.
Possible the person selling knows jack about woodworking tools, and was listening to some know it all lawyer and may have been ill-informed on the cost of all this stuff and what it would sell for Don't have the time to add it all up it may actually be a good buy, It will be interesting to watch this one.
One would be amazed on how it all adds up. I was once in a position to see what it would cost to replace my entire shop at the time with buying everything new this including all tooling and work benches and lumber racks which were steel storage system shelving like at HD.
I was in shock to find that it conservatory came to 250,000.00 twice what I would have guessed and I'm the one that purchased every bit of it.
I am contemplating doing and inventory on my current tools and machinery, this would more than likely take me a week to do it a week which I do not have the time.
Maybe soon one day, awe the hell with it to much work <G> George

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item%64693265&category 810
Ditto ... I've kept a spreadsheet of the bigger items for the past few years for insurance purposes and I am not all that far from the "starting bid" figure in my small shop. It is obvious that whoever did the inventory is not a woodworker, but that it neither surprising, nor funny ... well, except for the "Porter Cable Plunging Cutter". ;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

years
bid"
is not

except for

someone died

which
machinery,
do not

Good to see you back, Larry!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03

Except that it looks like a 14" saw... they must have measured something other than the wheel diameters to come up with 48"...
John
Had to do an inventory for tax purposes and had one wall with no power tools on it that came to more then what this guy is asking. The real heck of it is that half of that wall is full of tools that were given to me, found, or just appeared and are never used. They do look impressive hanging there though.
Had to an inventory of tools in my shop for tax purposes, had one wall with no power tools that came to more then this guy is asking. Heck of it is that half the tools there are ones that were given to me, found, or just appeared and are never used. They do look impressive hanging there though.

Thats one possibility and probably the right one. Another possibility is that he is just using EBAY as an advertising medium. Rather than make an individual listing for each item which is time consuming, and potentially expensive, it's quite possible that he just made one for everything knowing that it wouldn't sell, but that he'd get 100 emails asking to sell individual items. Now he has lots of potential buyers all from that one simple ad and with a small fraction of the Ebay fees.     I've never done this myself, but as well experienced Ebay seller, I can tell you that EVERYTIME I run a sale for a large lot, I get ALOT of inquiries about individual items.
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 13:49:45 -0500, Secret Squirrel <Secret> wrote:

Right on, this also can hold true for single, very expensive items. The only people who think stuff like this is funny, are this who don't understand the potential circumstances that can arrive from such a listing.
The bicycle shop I work at has listed several used, but very high end or rare bikes on eBay. A local sees the listing, comes to the store, buys the item, and the auction is killed off. The only cost was the listing fee, as there is no final value charge for an item that "dosen't sell". <G>
Barry

I absolutely didn't read it that way; call me a skeptic but even though it says estate sale my gut reaction was someone bought all the toys then didn't use 'em and wants to get their money back. Most of what can be seen in the pics looks clean, shiny, and dust-free. Even if it adds up to $26,500.00 new, no one would pay that much for equipment that isn't new. IF it's truly an estate sale and someone's widow is tryin' to recover some costs, they have my sympathies.
I remain skeptical.
Cheers, Gary
Gary Greenberg wrote:

I guess now we have an answer for the guy who posts:
"I want to get started in woodworking. Money is no object. What should I buy?"
--
Chris Merrill

That might be worth $10k new.
Hey, that same arse wants $12 to ship a pair of gloves within the US. Whadda maroon!
------------------------------- Iguana: The other green meat! ------------------------------- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 19:07:43 GMT, Chris Merrill

Or a local goes to look at the tools, brings real data with him, and makes a reasonable offer.
The seller gets thousands of people viewing the ad, for an inexpensive listing fee.
Barry