ebay is a haven for idiocy....

check this out....

of all that I hold sacred....

This thing is only $180 CANADIAN! from Lee Valley...

And the sad thing is that some sucker will probably buy it....

Reply to
stickdoctor

stickdoctor wrote in news:Xns949B84D228FBstickdoctorhotmailco@24.69.255.211:

well, it is obvious this guy is a clip artist since he also has

detail chisels set...his price $333.35, Lee Valley Price $189.00

and

wooden smooth plane his price $79.99, Lee Valley price $52.50

*sigh* yet another blow to faith in man's innate decency...
Reply to
stickdoctorq

I see this all the time on EBay. To bad, some knucklehead will probably bid on it. BTW, I have the plane and it is a very good tool. Dave

> Mother of all that I hold sacred....

TeamCasa

$139 US today on the Veritas website, and this Bozo (apologies to any real life clowns) want $199US if you "buy it now"

And you're right, someone will buy it AND wind up paying $20 US shipping as well

What a rip off John

Reply to
John Crea

> Mother of all that I hold sacred....

What happens is that the seller buys it from Lee Valley and resells it to the high bidder. Makes a quick fifty bucks. Unethical? Yes.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Lemme get this straight, a person buying something and selling it at a profit is unethical? That's how every store on earth operates.

The only thing unethical about this is the use of Lee Valley's copyrighted images.

Reply to
Scott Post

I don't agree with the unethical part. Seems to me I can buy and sell anything I want, for what ever price I can get for it. Buyer beware! If this is unethical, why is it NOT unethical for differant stores to sell the same item at differant prices! If Amazon sells a tool for $500 it must be unethical for the local hardware store to ask $550! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Note the "private bidder" status - always a warning sign

Reply to
Andy Dingley

> Mother of all that I hold sacred....

Did you notice he has a perfect 100% feedback rating on 266 transactions? That's a lot of happy shafted customers.

P.

Reply to
Paul

The guy must read the wreck. His original prices have been revised.

Come on now fess up, which one of you guys is bestbuy$4less?

Reply to
jd

"Paul" wrote in news:m3x%b.250$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.onvoy.net:

I think it is a fairly safe assumption that his ratings and feedback are faked....

Reply to
stickdoctorq

Rob Lee has reported him.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I actually just sent the guy a message asking why he's asking more than the retailer's price. Might be interesting to see a reply.

As for unethical, it's not as long as the individual is a licensed distributer. I doubt this numnuts is.

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James Cubby Culbertson

I don't put any stock in that crap anyway unless it's a seriously negative number.

Reply to
Silvan

much of the text comes right from LV's page.

Reply to
Saudade

He said to me that the shipping and taxes he's paid make $200 "buy it now" a pretty good deal.

Reply to
Damned if i know

You guys are all crazy!

"Ethics" has no place in a discussion of retail sales.

Jay in NH

Reply to
S S Law NH

sslawnh responds:

Checked the Lee Valley catalog lately? I vote that ethics certainly has a place and LV shows where it is.

Charlie Self I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get elected.

Charlie Self

Well ...

I have over 900 transactions with no negative feedback.... :)

This type of posting to eBay happens frequently... we can only object if the seller uses our images without permission, or clones our text. We do get the auctions cancelled. If we find out who the seller is - we're also within our rights to refuse to sell to them at all...

The most common "rip-off" on eBay using our products is the resale of our "Stanley Conbination Planes Book"....

It's up there now, as I type...our price is $3.95 US ... the auctions regularly finish for $7-$25 plus shipping...

than putting up the same items ourselves - there's not much that can be done....

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Robin Lee

In this case, yes. Not everybody. This particular brand of sleaze irritates me, when this is clearly a scam.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE