ebay is a haven for idiocy....

Page 1 of 3
check this out....
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item277194891&category 874
Mother of all that I hold sacred....
This thing is only $180 CANADIAN! from Lee Valley...
And the sad thing is that some sucker will probably buy it....

well, it is obvious this guy is a clip artist since he also has
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 762&item#83178885
veritas detail chisels set...his price $333.35, Lee Valley Price $189.00
and
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category 874&item277204954
taiwan wooden smooth plane his price $79.99, Lee Valley price $52.50
*sigh* yet another blow to faith in man's innate decency...

The guy must read the wreck. His original prices have been revised.
Come on now fess up, which one of you guys is bestbuy$4less?
I see this all the time on EBay. To bad, some knucklehead will probably bid on it. BTW, I have the plane and it is a very good tool. Dave

$139 US today on the Veritas website, and this Bozo (apologies to any real life clowns) want $199US if you "buy it now"
And you're right, someone will buy it AND wind up paying $20 US shipping as well
What a rip off John
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:05:26 GMT, stickdoctor

What happens is that the seller buys it from Lee Valley and resells it to the high bidder. Makes a quick fifty bucks. Unethical? Yes.
Jon E

Lemme get this straight, a person buying something and selling it at a profit is unethical? That's how every store on earth operates.
The only thing unethical about this is the use of Lee Valley's copyrighted images.
--
Scott Post snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost /

Rob Lee has reported him.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 04:06:30 GMT, Steve Knight

And they took the post down. "Invalid Item"
.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! --- http://diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development
http://home.insightbb.com/~sepost /
And much of the text comes right from LV's page.

In this case, yes. Not everybody. This particular brand of sleaze irritates me, when this is clearly a scam.
Jon E
Scott Post wrote:

But it is very distastful.

message

I don't agree with the unethical part. Seems to me I can buy and sell anything I want, for what ever price I can get for it. Buyer beware! If this is unethical, why is it NOT unethical for differant stores to sell the same item at differant prices! If Amazon sells a tool for $500 it must be unethical for the local hardware store to ask $550! Greg
Hi Greg (and all in the above part of this thread),
Ethical standards differ, based on the (metaphysical) assumptions of your particular ethical system.
It would be more worthwhile to discuss this in terms of legality. What he's doing is perfectly legal and done by many resellers (with the exception of using copyrighted images if he has done that...).
Ethically, I would ask what service he is adding to his source to justify raising the price (and if the service is worth the difference). The only argument I can imagine this character has is that he offers the product in a venue the source does not (I'm presuming LV does not sell on ebay. I may be wrong). So, by my system of ethics what he is doing is dishonest and therefore unethical, but perfectly legal.
Caveat emptor, H

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:05:26 GMT, stickdoctor

Note the "private bidder" status - always a warning sign
--
Smert' spamionam

Did you notice he has a perfect 100% feedback rating on 266 transactions? That's a lot of happy shafted customers.
P.

I think it is a fairly safe assumption that his ratings and feedback are faked....
stickdoctorq wrote:

I don't put any stock in that crap anyway unless it's a seriously negative number.
<snip>

Well ...
I have over 900 transactions with no negative feedback.... :)
This type of posting to eBay happens frequently... we can only object if the seller uses our images without permission, or clones our text. We do get the auctions cancelled. If we find out who the seller is - we're also within our rights to refuse to sell to them at all...
The most common "rip-off" on eBay using our products is the resale of our "Stanley Conbination Planes Book"....
It's up there now, as I type...our price is $3.95 US ... the auctions regularly finish for $7-$25 plus shipping...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item276001776&category 874
Other than putting up the same items ourselves - there's not much that can be done....
Cheers -
Rob
snipped-for-privacy@leevalley.com says...

Doesn't seem like anything should be done. You can't stop buyers from being uninformed about actual prices, and you shouldn't be able to stop anyone from reselling what they have legitimately purchased.
Sorry if this sounds like a rant, I've been reading quite a bit about digital rights management lately and it's making me a bit edgy about the degree of control in perpetuity some businesses think they should have over what they have sold. Rob, I know that this was not your intention, your final statement just hit me as slightly wrong.