easiest way to dismantle pallets

Page 2 of 2

I've turned some incredible junk on my lathe. :o)

I was thinking of the stuff that leaked from the railway frieght over the years.
I've turned some real junk, too, and have only been at it a few months. ;-)

Fast learner!

It varies, depending on what they were made for in the first place. Standard-sized pallets tend to be cr*p (or beat to hell from use), but custom-made ones are sometimes pretty good. It pays to be selective.
I've heard that the recyclers only want the standard-sized pallets and scrap the ones that are odd sizes-- exactly the ones that might (or might not) have some good wood in them.
I work for a printing company, and some of the pallets that are used to deliver paper look pretty good. We usually use them to ship out the finished jobs, though. The bad ones sometimes fall apart before we can use them.
The easiest way I have found to dismantle pallets is to stack a dozen or so up, pour on a cup of gasoline, and toss in a match. The pallets will self dismantle in 20 minutes or so. It is fun to watch too.
Joe

Run them over with your car?
Seriously- you're going to be spending either a lot of time pulling out nails and little bits of accumulated debris or a lot of money replacing blades and bits. To top it off, 99% of pallet wood is bottom-of the barrel crap to begin with. If you're really tight on money, you could always just get yourself some 2x4s and rip 'em to 3" widths to take the rounded corners off. Sure, working with pine framing timbers is not as pleasant as crafting something from walnut or maple, but you can do an awful lot of good work with them if you're patient.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:40:36 -0500, Prometheus

I tend to lean this way, since my experience with pallets has been that the wood rarely works down to something useful and the labor involved is excessive for what you get. I've done a lot with used framing lumber, which can often be gotten for free when an old house is torn down or remodeled. If you hit the right place and time you can get everything from 2x10 joists to maple flooring to cedar paneling to pine sheathing - all with fewer nails and defects than any pallet. As an added advantage, the wood in some of those older houses is *much* better quality than the "whitewood" that goes into modern framing. Recently I have been accumulating small hardwood pieces from a friend who does custom cabinetry, I've ended up with almost all the red oak I need to do the facings on the built-in bookcases I am planning for my family room. Patience is the key - I've been accumulating those red oak pieces for almost 2 years now.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Ah yes... Every time I'm working in my shop in the basement, I look up at the 5/4 oak that they used to make the subfloor in my house (joists are spruce, I think) and drool a little. Of course, all I do is look- 'cause if I took them out, the wife would be really angry with me. But if I ever tear the place down and rebuild, I'd have enough wood to last me a lifetime. I *am* going to take the african mahogany trim out of the upstairs and reclaim it, though. It wasn't installed properly to begin with, and it doesn't match the maple in the rest of the house- it's just sad to see a fine wood so terribly misused.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 05:52:02 -0500, Prometheus

I am confident that you will find a better and more respectful use for it!
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com