earthquakes

She is glued to the television set. You have to admit it pretty amazing stuff.

The earthquake had a minimal effect of a military base in the area. But a 23 foot tidal wave took out 20 of Japan's top fighters, training aircraft, all support vehicles and the only training facility for that particular aircraft. They have top technology and training. But it did not matter much against that huge, moving wall of water.

I understand that Japanese officials took a lot of heat for how they handled the Kobe quake. So they spent an enormous amount of money to prepare for the next one. They did not plan for this tidal wave.

I bet that military officials all over the world are going evaluate tsunami threats to their various installations. They took more losses from that tidal wave than they would have in a short war.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

OH. And my movie cite s/b "North by Northwest", shoun't it? Sheesh! Brain farts: thank the gods that they don't stink.

-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I haven't looked into it. Would that be a plate shift, and Japan was on the one which moved, or what?

-- Small opportunities are often the beginning of great enterprises. -- Demosthenes

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yes, I believe that's more or less it, but there's no clean demarcation line. There are reports that localized areas shifted as much as 13' and a 300 mile stretch moved 8' on average. It's mind boggling.

RicodJour

Be careful what you read, or watch. When in doubt or public, take Braino.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Yes, I believe that's more or less it, but there's no clean demarcation line. There are reports that localized areas shifted as much as 13' and a 300 mile stretch moved 8' on average. It's mind boggling.

Anyone heard anything on their inter-island bridges? Seems like a shift like that would be trouble for bridges.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser