Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 4 of 5
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sorry if I was confusing. Let me restate.
I come from a tradition that teaches good works are good for their own sake, not as an entrance fee to the hereafter and that was the message I was trying to convey. My tradition teaches that dwelling on the hereafter takes time and effort away from these good works and is, therefore, discouraged.
On the other hand, if someone's faith holds that one earns entrance in the world to come by doing good deeds, that's okay with me - the good gets done and I'm not too anal about the motivation.
On the other, other, hand, there is at least one religion that provides entrance to paradise is achieved principally by expanding the reach of the religion. If this reach is achieved by forcibly imposing the doctrine or killing apostates, infidels, and non-believers, that earns the actor a ticket in first class. And maybe even virgins.
Point is, if one's motivation is driven solely by a desire to enter a better place, the worldly results of that desire can be quite wicked.

I am more of an agnostic, but still believe in the performance of good works (or whatever name you'd give it) as an end in itself. Even helping the ltlle old lady across the street she wants to cross is a good deed, although there are and should be "bigger" things to strive for. The abuse of virgins is just that - abuse. Even the thought should be abhorrent, unless the virgin really wants to shed the appellation.
--
Best regards
Han
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Oh. Sorry. My grammer chequer didn't catch it.
Doug Miller wrote:

Looks like a well-executed project from start to finish!

A no-reservations "Well done!" to all, with special recognition to Mom and Dad for their successful efforts to raise an Eagle Scout.
Very well done, indeed.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Very nice and especially the Eagle Scout accomplishment!

Lovely work, Doug. Please pass my congratulations to your son and his troop.
djb
Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.
I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you attend Boys State?"

Thank you.

He applied and was admitted, pending Congressional nomination. He applied for, and received, a full-ride NROTC scholarship to the university of his choice. Unfortunately, he was DQed from both on medical grounds. He's healthy as a horse, with one exception: an anaphylactic allergic reaction to shellfish.

Some years ago, I was chatting with a Scout who was just back from his first semester at the Air Force Academy. I asked him if it gave him an edge, being an Eagle. He said "Nah. It's pretty much expected." -- Doug

Congrats on your son's achievement...You should be very proud...Don't let the idiots get you down....
Speaking of Boys Scouts acheivements...
http://www.king5.com/localnews/stories/NW_071909WAB-scouts-save-life-SW.589eac0f.html
This happened locally within the last few days. I bet there are some proud mothers and fathers on this one. An example of a training exercise suddenly turning into the real thing.

Looks like quite a nice Eagle project (and I see many of them). Also the photos show it off well.
Give him our congratulations. And a well done to Mom and Dad.
Has he had his Board of Review yet?
--
Bob Haar
BSA T-188, Rochester Hills, MI

Will do. Thank you.

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:05:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

As a woodworker, I offer AJ my compliments.
As a Scout leader for the last twenty-something years, I offer him my congratulations. Few outside of the Scouting community realize how much hard work and dedication it takes to attain the Eagle rank.
I'm sure you're very proud of him, and you deserve to be.
Reply-to address is real John
"Tanus" wrote:

Here Here, I'll 2nd that.

Ah Shucks<grin>.
<snip>

Ain't that the truth.
Lew
Re: Eagle Scout project complete!:

It was a good on-topic post. No need to apologize.
--
I filter all messages from google groups.

Doug Miller wrote:

Doug, you have a fine young man for a son, anyone who says different is a jerk. I wish there were many more young folks like you son out there. I understand your pride and your wish to share it. You have every right to brag, perhaps you had a little bit to do with it. *snicker*
TDD
snipped-for-privacy@peckerhead.net wrote:

Thank you.

I actually had very little to do with the project. My role could be described as "technical consultant" perhaps -- things like suggesting that reducing the planned width of the box by 1/4" made it possible to cut all fourteen backs out of one sheet of plywood instead of two; likewise for the plexiglass fronts. I showed him how to plan his cuts on the table saw to minimize the need to change setups. I told him he ought to use stainless steel nails, not galvanized, in cedar, and why. I showed him how to make simple jigs to make sure cuts were made, and holes were drilled, in consistent repeatable locations.
But he came up with the idea, he planned the project, he raised the funds, he bought the materials (or arranged for them to be donated), he made *all* the saw cuts, he organized the team of volunteers to assemble the boxes, he directed them. He made sure the "Call Before You Dig" folks marked the area so the post-hole auger wouldn't hit any buried utilities. He talked the owner of a construction company into drilling the holes for him, and showed him where to drill the holes, and how deep. He supervised the final assembly and installation of all fourteen stations. He hired a local engraving company to make the brass "In memory of..." plaques, and kept careful track of who had endowed which station, to make sure the plaques wound up on the right posts.
Yes, I "had a little bit to do with it." Literally a little bit. But it was his project. Not mine.
Doug Miller wrote:

Well, what I meant was the creation of the outstanding young man. Get it now? ROFL
TDD