Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 3 of 5

It seems that you are determined to press the religious aspect. What's your problem?
I would suggest that parents have the right and responsibility concerning the religious training of their own children. If you don't like it, take your child out.
Kurt Ullman wrote:

I do. Scouting is not about Religion. It is about Faith. Big difference.
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 09:34:47 -0700, Smitty Two
a lesson on the dangers of crossposting.
Regards,

Fine -- but why did you find it necessary to make a snide remark? A bit unsure of yourself, perhaps?

"The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no God.' "
Smitty Two wrote: >> I just watched "Religulous." We non-believers see all religions as >> absolutely, completely insane. 93 % of scientists are in that camp.
>Doug Miller wrote: > Fine --
No it's not "fine". I'm a non-believer and I don't see "all religions as absolutely, completely insane". At the very, very least, most religions are attempting to lead people in a moral direction. Nothing insane about that is there?
Personally, as a non-believer, I'm sick of the little weasel scum bags thinking they are speaking for ME. They are not, and their are plenty of non-believers that are not so insecure that they feel any need to attack believers.
Your son did a great job, and your wife too. I'm certain his achievement of Eagle scout status will benefit him throughout life, as it has so many before him.
--
Jack

And most statistics are made up. Where does that 93% come from? Can you cite any reputable sources?
Most of the scientists that I know feel that the beautiful logic of the universe can only be explained by a Creator. They don't always have much interest in organized religions but they do believe.
Smitty Two wrote:

Hmm. "I consider myself a monothiest of the Hebrew persuasion." Sir Issac Newton.
And it's not the religion that's insane, it's some of the people who practice it.
'Course all this was settled in the 13th Century by Thomas Aquinas ("Summa Theologica" for the Christians), Maimonides ("Guide for the Perplexed" for the Jews), and Abu al-Walid Muhammad Ibn Rushid ("The Great Commentary" for the Muslims).
You really should keep up.
on 7/19/2009 8:14 AM (ET) Doug Miller wrote the following:

There are three things that should never be discussed in public. Religion, politics, and the second amendment. :-)
"Smitty Two" wrote:

Cheap shot.
Lew
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 01:05:50 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Outstanding!
Attaining Eagle is a magnificent accomplishment.
Congratulations.
Regards,

Chrystonacrutch! ...that's one heckuva project. Your son did an amazing job and definitely earned his Eagle badge.
Not quite sure why my linux box wouldn't play the photobucket slideshow in any one of my three browsers (crash or blk screen), but here's the link to view it manually:
http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu355/milmacdotcom /
nb
notbob wrote:

problem. Showing Flash Player 10 using Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20080703 Mandriva/2.0.0.18-1.1mdv2008.0 (2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.18,
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

I figured it out. Not enough memory.
I'm running rv 1.9.0.4 w/ flash 10, but I only have 512M RAM. Last night I was also ssh'd into a headless server with remote xwindows running when I ran the photobucket site. No doubt just overwhelmed my RAM. I've noticed FF and Seamonkey have become more bloated and memory hungry over the last few years. If you run heavy client-side scripts, like slideshows or youtube, without enough memory, FF will just crash. This morning, free of the ssh/xwindow connect, the photobucket slide show runs just fine.
nb
Doug Miller wrote:

Of course we do.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Neither. A great sage once said: "There are four things on which one should not dwell: What came before and what will come after, what is above and what is below."
The simple reason for this admonition is that one cannot influence the hereafter. One can, however, do something today to make this a better world.
HeyBub wrote:

beliefs. Can you offer proof using standard rules of logic that there is "nothing"?
George wrote:

So it is your belief that some action on your part can result in a change in God's plan?
George wrote:

I never said there was "nothing." The hereafter simply doesn't influence me.
By the simple standard rules of logic, I can say that we MIGHT be closer to world peace, a cure for cancer, or eliminating male pattern baldness had not some really great intellects applied themselves to endeavors other than ruminating on how many angles could dance on the head of a pin.
The New Testament says that the streets of heaven are paved with gold. Whether they're paved with gold or whether they're paved with mud, they are what they are and none of our piety or wit can cancel half a line. We are of THIS world, not the world to come.
But, and this is a big "but," to the degree that any faith inspires and comforts, any activity that promotes that faith and belief is, intrinsically, good. Any religion that promotes charity, good works, justice, respect, protection of the weak and chastisement for the wicked is a good and holy road to God - even if it digresses from time to time to contemplate angles and pins.