Eagle Scout project complete!

Some years ago, I was chatting with a Scout who was just back from his first semester at the Air Force Academy. I asked him if it gave him an edge, being an Eagle. He said "Nah. It's pretty much expected." -- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

The Army loves to hire Eagle scouts, especially those that made to the Scout conventions and remote-area camping events. Much of the stuff they teach in basic and even in OCS has already been addressed, so the official military training is usually a breeze for them. Most of the big Army bases historically have had a very friendly relationship with the Scouts, although there has been some flack lately due to the Scouts allegedly discriminating against some kids of non-mainstream religious beliefs or unacceptable lifestyles.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

In addition to many in leadership positions, there seems to be a disproportionate number of serial killers among Eagle Scouts. Richard Angelo and Charles Whitman being but two examples.

Reply to
LD

And most statistics are made up. Where does that 93% come from? Can you cite any reputable sources?

Most of the scientists that I know feel that the beautiful logic of the universe can only be explained by a Creator. They don't always have much interest in organized religions but they do believe.

Reply to
Bob Haar

Looks like quite a nice Eagle project (and I see many of them). Also the photos show it off well.

Give him our congratulations. And a well done to Mom and Dad.

Has he had his Board of Review yet?

Reply to
Bob Haar

As a woodworker, I offer AJ my compliments.

As a Scout leader for the last twenty-something years, I offer him my congratulations. Few outside of the Scouting community realize how much hard work and dedication it takes to attain the Eagle rank.

I'm sure you're very proud of him, and you deserve to be.

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

Not all Eagles go on to greatness. But many who go on to greatness are Eagles. A quick Google search lists these:

Bill Alexander, U.S. Representative from Arkansas Gary Anderson, U.S. Representative from New York Charles Bennett, U.S. Representative from Florida William Bennett, Former Secretary of Education Bill Bradley, Pro basketball star and U.S. Sneator from New Jersey Milton Caniff, Comic Strip Artist "Steve Canyon" Willaim Dannemeyer, U.S. Representative from California Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S. Murphy J. "Mike" Foster, Governor of Louisiana James Lovell - Astronaut Richard Lugar, U.S. Senator from Indiana Sam Nunn, U.S. Senator from Georgia Ellison Onizuka, Challenger Astronaut J.J. Pickle, U.S. Representative from Texas Samuel Pierce, Former Secreatry of HUD Harrison Salisbury, Pulitzer Prize winning Author Willaim Sessions, Former FBI Director Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer Wallace Stegner, Pulitzer Prize winning Author Percy Sutton, Chairman of CBS John Tesh, TV Celebrity James Stewart - Actor James Brady, Former Press Secretary to President Reagan William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart Walter Cronkite - Journalist, T.V. commentator J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation H. Ross Perot, Chairman, EDS Corp. Daniel J. Evans, Former US Senator and Governor of Washington state

Reply-to address is real John

Reply to
John

Will do. Thank you.

Not yet -- hopefully, that will be very soon, and go smoothly.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Congrats on your son's achievement...You should be very proud...Don't let the idiots get you down....

Reply to
benick

Here Here, I'll 2nd that.

Ah Shucks.

Ain't that the truth.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Speaking of Boys Scouts acheivements...

happened locally within the last few days. I bet there are some proud mothers and fathers on this one. An example of a training exercise suddenly turning into the real thing.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

How many of them were able to light a campfire on the Moon? *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Six.

Reply to
LD

I didn't ask who lighted a rocket! *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Consider it a 'Decamp' fire.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You were wrong, as you would have seen by even a cursory examination of the requirements for elevation to Eagle Scout:

"While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, school, or community. (The project should benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) The project idea must be approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your Scoutmaster and troop committee and the council or district before you start."

Reply to
HeyBub

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 23:02:48 -0400, Tanus wrote Re Re: Eagle Scout project complete!:

It was a good on-topic post. No need to apologize.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Here's some:

Neil Armstrong First man on the moon

Willie Banks Olympic athlete, former world-record holder in triple jump and long jump

Michael Bloomberg Mayor of New York City

Guion "Guy" S. Bluford Jr. Retired U.S. Air Force offcer and space shuttle astronaut; frst African American in space

Bill Bradley Former professional basketball player, U.S. senator, and presidential candidate

Stephen Breyer Associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court

Mike Crapo U.S. senator from Idaho

William C. DeVries, M.D. Surgeon and educator; transplanted the frst artifcial heart

Michael Dukakis Former governor of Massachusetts and presidential candidate

Mike Enzi U.S. senator from Wyoming

Thomas Foley Former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and ambassador to Japan

Gerald R. Ford*

38th president of the United States

Steve Fossett* World-record holder; frst to circumnavigate Earth solo in a balloon and an airplane

Chan Gailey College and professional football coach

John Garamendi Lieutenant governor of California

Bill Gates Sr. CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; father of Bill Gates

Robert Gates U.S. secretary of defense and former director of the Central Intelligence Agency

Michael Kahn Academy Award-winning flm editor

James A. Lovell Jr. Former U.S. Navy offcer and Apollo 13 commander

Gary Locke Former governor of Washington; frst Chinese American governor in the United States

Richard G. Lugar U.S. senator from Indiana

J. Willard Marriott Jr. Chairman and CEO of Marriott International

George Meyer Writer and producer of "The Simpsons"

Ben Nelson U.S. senator from Nebraska

H. Ross Perot Founder of EDS and Perot Systems; former presidential candidate

Rick Perry Governor of Texas

Beasley Reece Former NFL player and sportscaster

Mike Rowe Host of "Dirty Jobs" television program

Donald Rumsfeld Former U. S. secretary of defense

Jefferson Sessions U.S. senator from Alabama

William S. Sessions Former federal judge and director of the FBI

John Tesh Recording artist and performer

Togo West Former U.S. secretary of veterans affairs and secretary of the Army

Reply to
HeyBub

Neither. A great sage once said: "There are four things on which one should not dwell: What came before and what will come after, what is above and what is below."

The simple reason for this admonition is that one cannot influence the hereafter. One can, however, do something today to make this a better world.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, the simple reason for the admonition is to trivialize anyone who has beliefs. Can you offer proof using standard rules of logic that there is "nothing"?

Reply to
George