Eagle Scout project complete!

That is odd, mine played it fine. Firefox, it may be a Flash Player plugin problem. Showing Flash Player 10 using Firefox Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.18) Gecko/20080703 Mandriva/2.0.0.18-1.1mdv2008.0 (2008.0) Firefox/2.0.0.18,

Reply to
evodawg

Have you ever wondered why the LM was named "Eagle"?

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.

It's something many parents would like to believe.

Reply to
Some Guy

Very nice and especially the Eagle Scout accomplishment!

Reply to
Leon

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

I think the research /has/ been done. I remember seeing some interesting statistics, but it pre-dated the Internet and I can't remember the source.

You might find

even though far from complete (my father, for example, is not listed - but I still have his merit badge sash and Eagle Scout pin).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I did see some information years ago. Many of our great achievers in this country were Eagle Scouts.

list; nine out of ten is not bad This is a list of the top 10 most influential people who received the Eagle Scout award. (This list is in no particular order)

  1. Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S. 2. Michael F. Moore, Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker 3. Neil Armstrong, First man on the moon 4. James Lovell - Astronaut 5. Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer 6. William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart 7. J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation 8. Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City 9. Bill Gates, Sr., CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, father of Microsoft founder Bill Gates 10. Mike Rowe, Host of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Cheap shot.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I figured it out. Not enough memory.

I'm running rv 1.9.0.4 w/ flash 10, but I only have 512M RAM. Last night I was also ssh'd into a headless server with remote xwindows running when I ran the photobucket site. No doubt just overwhelmed my RAM. I've noticed FF and Seamonkey have become more bloated and memory hungry over the last few years. If you run heavy client-side scripts, like slideshows or youtube, without enough memory, FF will just crash. This morning, free of the ssh/xwindow connect, the photobucket slide show runs just fine.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Lovely work, Doug. Please pass my congratulations to your son and his troop.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Now let's see, you've posted all of 31 messages to USENET going back about 3 weeks, and Doug has been posting to all the groups he linked for years, so who in the Hell are _you_ to tell _him_ that he's doing wrong by sharing something with his friends?

Reply to
J. Clarke

a lesson on the dangers of crossposting.

Regards,

Tom Watson

Tom Watson

Only twelve men have walked on the Moon. Supposedly, _every one_ of them is an Eagle Scout.

Good enough for me.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Of course we do.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Fine -- but why did you find it necessary to make a snide remark? A bit unsure of yourself, perhaps?

Reply to
Doug Miller

"The fool hath said in his heart, 'There is no God.' "

Reply to
Doug Miller

16) was a second class scout, Buzz Aldrin (Apollo 11) was a Tenderfoot, among others that walked on the moon, but were not Eagles. -- Doug
Reply to
Douglas Johnson

A quick look at Wikipedia casts doubt on that. Wiki would love the corrections if you've got them. I checked mostly because I didn't think a dozen astronauts had walked on the moon-- then once I was there. . . .

Armstrong & Duke -Eagle Mitchell & Scott - Life

No mention of scouting- Aldrin, Conrad, Bean, Shepard, Irwin, Young, Cernan, Schmitt

I don't doubt that a lot of Eagle scouts have done well. There are a couple million of them, more or less, so it is likely that lots of them did well. [chances are that as a cross section of society, they counted among the more privileged class so we should expect them to do better than average]

But how do they rate against their peers? It would take a real effort to sort them out, take a sample and compare their futures-- but if we're just going to cite random scouts-- I've known 3 in my life.

1 was a good man, though outside of scouting you wouldn't call him remarkable.

2 others were not. They didn't do as poorly as Eagle scouts Lee Harvey Oswald, or serial killer scouts Robinson & Whitman, - but they were general ne'er do wells.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Congrats from a long time Scouter and the father of two Eagles.

I have been told that the only two activities specifically asked about on the application to any Military academy are "Are you an Eagle Scout, Did you attend Boys State?"

Reply to
Ed Ahern

Thank you.

My son is two-for-two there -- and wanted to attend the Naval Academy. He applied and was admitted, pending Congressional nomination. He applied for, and received, a full-ride NROTC scholarship to the university of his choice. Unfortunately, he was DQed from both on medical grounds. He's healthy as a horse, with one exception: an anaphylactic allergic reaction to shellfish.

Reply to
Doug Miller