Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 2 of 5
LD wrote:

I didn't ask who lighted a rocket! *snicker*
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

(...)
Consider it a 'Decamp' fire.
--Winston

It's my understanding they left no unused firewood behind...

Not all Eagles go on to greatness. But many who go on to greatness are Eagles. A quick Google search lists these:
Bill Alexander, U.S. Representative from Arkansas Gary Anderson, U.S. Representative from New York Charles Bennett, U.S. Representative from Florida William Bennett, Former Secretary of Education Bill Bradley, Pro basketball star and U.S. Sneator from New Jersey Milton Caniff, Comic Strip Artist "Steve Canyon" Willaim Dannemeyer, U.S. Representative from California Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S. Murphy J. "Mike" Foster, Governor of Louisiana James Lovell - Astronaut Richard Lugar, U.S. Senator from Indiana Sam Nunn, U.S. Senator from Georgia Ellison Onizuka, Challenger Astronaut J.J. Pickle, U.S. Representative from Texas Samuel Pierce, Former Secreatry of HUD Harrison Salisbury, Pulitzer Prize winning Author Willaim Sessions, Former FBI Director Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer Wallace Stegner, Pulitzer Prize winning Author Percy Sutton, Chairman of CBS John Tesh, TV Celebrity James Stewart - Actor James Brady, Former Press Secretary to President Reagan William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart Walter Cronkite - Journalist, T.V. commentator J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation H. Ross Perot, Chairman, EDS Corp. Daniel J. Evans, Former US Senator and Governor of Washington state
Reply-to address is real John
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Here's some:
Neil Armstrong First man on the moon
Willie Banks Olympic athlete, former world-record holder in triple jump and long jump
Michael Bloomberg Mayor of New York City
Guion "Guy" S. Bluford Jr. Retired U.S. Air Force offcer and space shuttle astronaut; frst African American in space
Bill Bradley Former professional basketball player, U.S. senator, and presidential candidate
Stephen Breyer Associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court
Mike Crapo U.S. senator from Idaho
William C. DeVries, M.D. Surgeon and educator; transplanted the frst artifcial heart
Michael Dukakis Former governor of Massachusetts and presidential candidate
Mike Enzi U.S. senator from Wyoming
Thomas Foley Former speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives and ambassador to Japan
Gerald R. Ford* 38th president of the United States
Steve Fossett* World-record holder; frst to circumnavigate Earth solo in a balloon and an airplane
Chan Gailey College and professional football coach
John Garamendi Lieutenant governor of California
Bill Gates Sr. CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation; father of Bill Gates
Robert Gates U.S. secretary of defense and former director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Michael Kahn Academy Award-winning flm editor
James A. Lovell Jr. Former U.S. Navy offcer and Apollo 13 commander
Gary Locke Former governor of Washington; frst Chinese American governor in the United States
Richard G. Lugar U.S. senator from Indiana
J. Willard Marriott Jr. Chairman and CEO of Marriott International
George Meyer Writer and producer of "The Simpsons"
Ben Nelson U.S. senator from Nebraska
H. Ross Perot Founder of EDS and Perot Systems; former presidential candidate
Rick Perry Governor of Texas
Beasley Reece Former NFL player and sportscaster
Mike Rowe Host of "Dirty Jobs" television program
Donald Rumsfeld Former U. S. secretary of defense
Jefferson Sessions U.S. senator from Alabama
William S. Sessions Former federal judge and director of the FBI
John Tesh Recording artist and performer
Togo West Former U.S. secretary of veterans affairs and secretary of the Army

Well done...
Bob S.
Doug Miller wrote:

Congratulations on raising an Eagle Scout!!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Thank you. My wife is particularly proud: she and her best friend were the co-leaders of his Cub Scout den. Of the eight or nine boys in the den, only four (our son, her friend's son, and two others) stayed in that den all the way through Cub Scouts -- and _all four_ are now Eagle Scouts.

Was that really necessary?
Doug Miller wrote:

Absolutely, its the popular and required thing to do in a liberal secular world to discredit non-secular beliefs...
Doug Miller wrote:

I thought scouting was about out-door stuff, survival, being prepared, etc.
What do chuch-related activities have to do with any of that?

Why was this even posted to alt.home.repair?
If your choice of newsgroups is not appropriate, then you can expect to get some flack.
What the hell is comp.sys.tandem?
None of these groups are appropriate for the OP.
Are there no scouting groups?

the rec is like a family and Doug wanted to share a a"happy" moment with his friends. If you are not educated enough to realize that, it is better to keep your mouth shut rather than prove your stupidity!
WOW! Eagle Scout....that will open doors for your son the rest of his life and a wonderful foundation to build upon. Good Job DAD!
Some Guy wrote:

Now let's see, you've posted all of 31 messages to USENET going back about 3 weeks, and Doug has been posting to all the groups he linked for years, so who in the Hell are _you_ to tell _him_ that he's doing wrong by sharing something with his friends?
Some Guy wrote:

You were wrong, as you would have seen by even a cursory examination of the requirements for elevation to Eagle Scout:
"While a Life Scout, plan, develop, and give leadership to others in a service project helpful to any religious institution, school, or community. (The project should benefit an organization other than Boy Scouting.) The project idea must be approved by the organization benefiting from the effort, your Scoutmaster and troop committee and the council or district before you start."

Don't ask don't tell?

a I have no problems with sponsoring organization pushing religion if it is a religious organization.
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

I was an assistant scoutmaster in a troop sponsored by a church. I took all of the leadership training available.
In seven years, I never heard a boy say the was Christian or agnostic. I never heard it in the training either.
The church never pushed it's doctrine.
It seems to me that a lot of people here without any experience with the scouts are talking about things they know nothing about.
Scouting is about citizenship, preparedness, and helping others, just basic good stewardship.

That's okay, too. Just if one goes to a religious sponsored group, they shouldn't act surprised and upset if it comes up.

On Usenet. Impossible. (g).
--
Searching is half the fun: life is much more manageable when thought
of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party.

Kurt, I really was not responding to you. Some of the other posts are pretty incredible. I had resisted posting before.
The kids went to have fun. We canoed in white water, rock climbed, back pack camped and so on. I don't understand why a bunch of adults don't understand that.
I wonder how many of us could survive Philmont? :-)
At one time, I bled Boy Scout Khaki.

Been there, done that, got the eagle ('76).
Scouting has changed in the 30 years since - much more religious than it used to be.
scott