Eagle Scout project complete!

Page 1 of 5
My son A.J. finished his Eagle Scout project today: construction and installation of the Stations of the Cross on the grounds of Cardinal Ritter High School (his alma mater) and St. Michael's Catholic Church here in Indianapolis.
(Note to non-Catholics: the Stations of the Cross is a devotional intended to encourage meditation on the sufferings and death of Jesus Christ. It consists of fourteen icons depicting various events during His Passion, beginning with his condemnation by Pilate, leading up to and ending with his body being laid in the tomb.)
Photos of the completed project here: http://s663.photobucket.com/albums/uu355/milmacdotcom/?albumview=slideshow
Project concept, design, and management by my son. Scrollsaw work by my wife. Construction and installation by my son and over a dozen volunteer helpers. Special thanks to Carter-Lee Lumber Company of Indianapolis <www.carterlee.com> for their very generous donation of *all* of the lumber used in this project.
[...]

Congratulations to your son. Eagle scout projects are a good lesson in life and most Eagle scouts go on to great things.

Thanks, Ed.

When he was a Cub Scout, his den and a few others took a field trip to the Marshall Space Center in Huntsville AL. One sentence from their welcoming program for the Scouts has stuck with me: "Every footprint on the moon was left there by an Eagle Scout."
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

mountains of NH.
http://alturl.com/biiw
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

Pay up kid or we'll break your ankles. *snicker*
TDD
evodawg wrote:

Now /there's/ a life lesson for those likely to be the leaders of the next generation: 'Stay on the marked path, no matter what.'
I suppose NH should be nominated for some kind of special "Peace and Stability" award.
Maybe the kid can even the score by suing NH for failing to exercise due diligence because the helicopters the state typically used were unavailable when they were needed.
:-T
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Just curious- has anyone actually done the research on that?
Jim

Have you ever wondered why the LM was named "Eagle"?
Regards,
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Yea, I was wondering the same thing.
It's something many parents would like to believe.

In addition to many in leadership positions, there seems to be a disproportionate number of serial killers among Eagle Scouts. Richard Angelo and Charles Whitman being but two examples.

http://www.macscouter.com/usscouts/eagle/eagleastronauts.asp
Regards,

This list shows that it is not true. Sigh. It shows that John Young (Apollo 16) was a second class scout, Buzz Aldrin (Apollo 11) was a Tenderfoot, among others that walked on the moon, but were not Eagles. -- Doug
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I think the research /has/ been done. I remember seeing some interesting statistics, but it pre-dated the Internet and I can't remember the source.
You might find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eagle_Scouts_(Boy_Scouts_of_America) interesting, even though far from complete (my father, for example, is not listed - but I still have his merit badge sash and Eagle Scout pin).
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I did see some information years ago. Many of our great achievers in this country were Eagle Scouts. http://www.scoutorama.com/eagle/eag_famous.cfm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Eagle_Scouts_(Boy_Scouts_of_America)
Another list; nine out of ten is not bad This is a list of the top 10 most influential people who received the Eagle Scout award. (This list is in no particular order)
1. Gerald Ford, 38th President of the U.S. 2. Michael F. Moore, Academy Award-winning documentary filmmaker 3. Neil Armstrong, First man on the moon 4. James Lovell - Astronaut 5. Steven Spielberg, Film Director/Producer 6. William C. DeVries, M.D., Transplanted first artificial heart 7. J. Willard Marriott, Jr., President, Marriott Corporation 8. Michael Bloomberg, Mayor of New York City 9. Bill Gates, Sr., CEO of Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, father of Microsoft founder Bill Gates 10. Mike Rowe, Host of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery Channel

Only twelve men have walked on the Moon. Supposedly, _every one_ of them is an Eagle Scout.
Good enough for me.
On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 16:44:53 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

A quick look at Wikipedia casts doubt on that. Wiki would love the corrections if you've got them. I checked mostly because I didn't think a dozen astronauts had walked on the moon-- then once I was there. . . .
Armstrong & Duke -Eagle Mitchell & Scott - Life
No mention of scouting- Aldrin, Conrad, Bean, Shepard, Irwin, Young, Cernan, Schmitt
I don't doubt that a lot of Eagle scouts have done well. There are a couple million of them, more or less, so it is likely that lots of them did well. [chances are that as a cross section of society, they counted among the more privileged class so we should expect them to do better than average]
But how do they rate against their peers? It would take a real effort to sort them out, take a sample and compare their futures-- but if we're just going to cite random scouts-- I've known 3 in my life. 1 was a good man, though outside of scouting you wouldn't call him remarkable.
2 others were not. They didn't do as poorly as Eagle scouts Lee Harvey Oswald, or serial killer scouts Robinson & Whitman, - but they were general ne'er do wells.
Jim
Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Scout conventions and remote-area camping events. Much of the stuff they teach in basic and even in OCS has already been addressed, so the official military training is usually a breeze for them. Most of the big Army bases historically have had a very friendly relationship with the Scouts, although there has been some flack lately due to the Scouts allegedly discriminating against some kids of non-mainstream religious beliefs or unacceptable lifestyles.
-- aem sends...
Doug Miller wrote:

How many of them were able to light a campfire on the Moon? *snicker*
TDD

Six.