E-mails

Page 1 of 2
Another e-mail from someone I don't know. Third one in about two weeks. I don't even like geting e-mails from my mother, so why someone who I have never heard of before thinks I would welcome an e-mail from then, instead o their responding to the appropriate thread, I do not know. If you have a reply to me from a rec.woodworking thread, then repy in that thread, so everyone can read it, don't feel entitled to just send an e-mail. It ain't polite, and I'm nothing if not polite. I will, of course, make exceptions in appropriate circumstances, but no BS e-mails. Especially, when the e-mail doesn't start out stating that it is by e-mail only. Don't e-mail me, I'll e-mail you.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel

Which, of course, is why many of us have "bogus" or "spam trap" e-mail addy's in our headers.
Or perhaps you get yourself one of those "disposable" yahho addy or some such - and use that address for your usenet headers - then anything that comes there you can simply ignore.
-Kevin in Indy
To reply, remove (+spamproof+) from address........

You don't understand JT/JOAT.
If he can't bitch, whine and complain periodically, his sinuses get all inflamed, his piles start bleeding, he starts to weep unconsolably, he starts repainting all his tools green, and starts considering getting a real internet connection instead of webtv.
You do NOT want that to happen.
Oh, he also starts calling people "sunshine".
It's just too ugly.
http://improve-usenet.org /
Sun, Nov 18, 2007, 9:20pm (EST-1) dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderstone.ca (DaveBalderstone) doth sayeth: You don't understand JT/JOAT. If he can't bitch, whine and complain periodically, his sinuses get all inflamed, his piles start bleeding, he starts to weep unconsolably, he starts repainting all his tools green, and starts considering getting a real internet connection instead of webtv. You do NOT want that to happen. Oh, he also starts calling people "sunshine". It's just too ugly.
The name "Buttercup" comes to mind also. LMAO Hell, I don't complain, I state legetimate concerns. At least that's what management always use to call it when they complained. And that is an outright lie, saying I would repaint any tools green. Red maybe, green no.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
Fri, Nov 16, 2007, 9:48pm snipped-for-privacy@comNOSPAMcast.net (KevinM.Vernon) doth sayeth: Which, of course, is why many of us have "bogus" or "spam trap" e-mail addy's in our headers. Or perhaps you get yourself one of those "disposable" yahho addy or some such - and use that address for your usenet headers - then anything that comes there you can simply ignore.
Yep, seen those. And been told by someone more than once to e-mail them, and not been able to reach them.
Nah, this way if someone who needs to contact me can. The operational word there is "needs".
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
J T wrote:

If I started a usenet thread every time I got an unwanted email, I'd never get done typing... Just ignore it.
Sat, Nov 17, 2007, 3:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (DS) doth sayeth: If I started a usenet thread every time I got an unwanted email, I'd never get done typing... Just ignore it.
Didn't even read the 2d one.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
Sat, Nov 17, 2007, 3:14am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com (DS) did sayeth: If I started a usenet thread every time I got an unwanted email, I'd never get done typing... Just ignore it.
Oops. I didn't read the 3d one. That was the one that was sent in response to my reply to the 2d. LMAO
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
On Nov 16, 9:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

At one time, long long ago, it was commonplace to email a copy (referred to as a 'courtesy copy') of a Usenet followup. Maybe there was some sense to it back when Usenet was much slower than email, but that situation went away about fifteen years ago so that today it is anything but courteous.
But I don't agree that it is impolite to send on-topic email to the author INSTEAD of posting. I would suppose a person sends email when they do not want to post something for everyone to see, perhaps including their own email address.
Usenet has a header for the author's email address precisely so that one can send email instead of posting.
So I daresay that if you are adverse to receiving on-topic email replies to your articles you should say so, perhaps in your .sig, as it is not reasonable to suppose that otherwise anyone will know that is your preference. You are not alone in that preference, but it is not by any means typical.
I draw the line at email harvesting for bulk lists (spam), off-topic or abusive emails. Those have never been acceptable.
You say you will make some exceptions. That's fine but how is anyone else supposed to determine that their email will be acceptable to you, before they send it?
--
FF

Every year at Christmas, JOAT sends his email address along with a nice card, stating he will accept your email. If you don't get one this year, it means, well, you get the idea.
Fri, Nov 16, 2007, 10:42pm snipped-for-privacy@snet.net (EdwinPawlowski) doth sayeth: Every year at Christmas, JOAT sends his email address along with a nice card, stating he will accept your email. If you don't get one this year, it means, well, you get the idea.
And for those few of you that want to send me an e-mail anyway, send them to Ed so he can screen them first, and then he will forward just the "important" ones. And, for those of you that don't get the e-mail, here's the card. Merry Xmas.
http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot/jinx/399/jokes/files/Santa.gif
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
EVERY ONE STAND BACK..................................
(J T) wrote:

Sat, Nov 17, 2007, 3:52am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@why.spam.me.bigpond.dot.net.au (MikeRichardson) doth sayeth: EVERY ONE STAND BACK..................................
No, no. Not to worry, everyone here is always polite to everyone else. You should already know that.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
Fri, Nov 16, 2007, 7:15pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (FredtheRedShirt) doth sayeth: <snip> But I don't agree that it is impolite to send on-topic email to the author INSTEAD of posting. I would suppose a person sends email when they do not want to post something for everyone to see, perhaps including their own email address.<snip> So I daresay that if you are adverse to receiving on-topic email replies to your articles you should say so, <snip> You say you will make some exceptions. That's fine but how is anyone else supposed to determine that their email will be acceptable to you, before they send it?
It's like someone wanting a plans link e-mailed to them. That way they have the link, but no one else. I don't believe in that.
I thought I just did say I was adverse to them.
The exceptions know who they are. And, they are polite enough to start of their message stating it is by e-mail only, tread subject or not.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
On Nov 19, 2:27 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

reasonable to suppose that otherwise anyone will know that is your preference. <snip>

Emailing the link to them does NOT stop anyone else from having the same link.

Reminds me of the index to a Unix text. The enter for 'recursive' read 'see recursive.'

It's the non-exceptions who don't know who they are and it would appear that you intend to keep it that way.
--
FF

Mon, Nov 19, 2007, 1:25pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (FredtheRedShirt) doth sayeth: Emailing the link to them does NOT stop anyone else from having the same link.
The enter for 'recursive' read 'see recursive.'
It's the non-exceptions who don't know who they are and it would appear that you intend to keep it that way.
If you e-mail it to one, you've gotta be prepared to e-mail it to everyone. I'll post, I won't e-mail.
???
If they don't know that they're exceptions, that should automatically tell them they're non-exceptions. Sounds good to me.
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
On Nov 20, 1:31 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Most Folks who post with a routable email address in their headers and nothing that says "please don't; send me email' are OK with receiving private on-topic email.
You don't understand that you're the exception here, instead you expect everyone else to divine if they are or are not.
--
FF

Tue, Nov 20, 2007, 9:39am (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (FredtheRedShirt) <snip-> You don't understand that you're the exception here, instead you expect everyone else to divine if they are or are not.
You aren't. No divination required..
JOAT So Many Cats So Few Recipes,
On Nov 16, 9:20 pm, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Noooo shit.
J T wrote:

The way USENET worked originally was that someone posted, people replied by email, and the original poster then put up a summary of the emails. This was back when it was carried on Fidonet and the like and propagation of messages might take a week or more.

--John