Dying Motor on Sears Table Saw?

Page 1 of 2

I've had this table saw for at least 20 years. Lately, it's been tripping the breaker with greater frequency. I'm wondering if the motor is wearing out, or if I should check something else.
Thanks,
Mike
Michael wrote:

Eliminate the source first?
Try something with more or less the same output on the socket,give it a couple of days before assuming its the saw.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Well, I have many other things running off that outlet. Occasionally, my 2 hp air compressor will trip it, but nothing else.

If the compressor is tripping it too you might have a bad breaker. Do you have another tool that can simulate the same load as the saw but stay just within the breaker's limits? Breakers are much cheaper than motors.
OTOH, the motor in my old Craftsman started shooting craps at around 20 years. I had to replace the starting capacitor and internal switch and got another 5-6 years before it died. It never threw breakers unless I just bogged it down (easy with the 1hp motor).
Eliminate the breaker before you start looking for motors.
RonB
Mike: Shhhhh. Just between you and me, the local protectors of the newsgroup don't care for crossposters. Frankly I could care less, within bounds.
RonB
(I just noticed my outbound had two addresses)

So you do care.

Michael wrote:

I would 1st try a new breaker, that is, if the saw, once it does get going, works ok. Or, flip flop the breaker with another one of the same size in the breaker box.
Michael wrote:

If it has been tripped a number of times, the breaker is likely weak and needs to be replaced. I would suggest that you should consider a dedicated circuit as it appears you are overloading that one.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Very likely the bearings are going and the motor is having to work harder trying to get up to speed. They can be replaced. Also possible that he bandsaw wheel bearings are causing the problem. Remove the blade and the wheels should spin freely.

Swap the breaker out for a bigger one. :)

Are you using an extension cord? If so, try a heavier one.
Al
efgh wrote:

Please don't use that joke, there are far too many people who would not notice the happy face.
Don't replace a breaker with a larger one unless you have verified that the entire circuit will be able to handler the current and still meet code.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Dull or dirty blade?
Blow the saw dust out of the motor I have to do this to mine once in a while & my saw is 45-50 yrs old Michael wrote:

JP wrote:

I second this. My craftsman is 45 years old and occasionally starts throwing the breaker. Cleaning out the motor and adding some oil eliminates the problem for a year or two.
I have an old Craftsman table saw of about the same age (1968). Mine started to give me trouble several years ago. I took it to a small motor repair store. They cleaned the ancient sawdust from inside of the motor and oiled it. It has worked fine ever since.
The reason I am posting is that on my motor there were no obvious places to oil it. The unit can be oiled at both end of the shaft. There is a small rubber plug that has to be removed. Added about 10 drops of oil once per year and replace the plug.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

First of all, you need to eliminate the breaker as a source of your problem. Breakers loose a little strength every time that they trip. Hence, over time, they will trip at a much lower current level.
Testing the motor is not a simple matter. I suggest you take it to a motor repair place where they have tools adequate for the testing.
Jim

Is the motor clean and oiled?
--
Caveat to Yankee carpetbaggers:
Michael wrote:

No one mentioned this, or asked these questions.
Is it a 15A or 20 A circuit? What does the amperage draw on the motor label read? What else is on this circuit? Add it all up. It could be you just have an overloaded circuit. Have you added something new recently?
Michael wrote:

Have you checked to be sure that the the motor pulley turns free? How about the saw blade arbor? Have you blown the motor clean with a compressor?