DVD rack vs electricity

Hi, my mains is in a box in my living room (U.K.) and I was thinking of making a dvd rack which would sit on top of this box to utilise the wasted space above it. The DVDs would be about 14 inches above the mains and I was wondering if the electric field would have any affect on the DVDs in the short/long term.

Thx for any replies,

patrick

Reply to
choo

Absolutely no effect. DVDs utilize reflected light, not magnetism. The prewritten ones are not damaged by electromagnetic fields - well, keep them outside of a microwave oven. The user written ones can be damaged by sunlight or high temperature - but not your electric mains.

JeffB

choo wrote:

Reply to
JeffB

Thx, you have made SWMBO very happy, she keeps complaining that I have DVDs all over the house.

Patrick

Reply to
choo

Reply to
Richard Clements

From NIST Special Publication 500-252 on CD/DVD media - published October 2003:

Effects of exposure to sunlight on prerecorded (ROM) CDs/DVDs: "Light effects on ROM discs, therefore, are considered negligible."

Moisture or humidity, and physical damage are the agents of degradation for prerecorded CDs/DVDs.

JeffB

Richard Clements wrote:

Reply to
JeffB