Dutch doors

Page 1 of 3
My church [tiny, with even tinier budget] is getting ready to wall off an area for a nursery. If we put in a door (of course we'll have a door), the state says the door has to have a glass panel so people can see in.
One of the ladies suggested using Dutch doors so the top half could be left completely open. Nobody knows where to order a set of dutch doors, much less with a window in the top half, and I suspect they are quite expensive.
How hard would it be to cut a hollow-core door in two just above the knob and repair the cut edges by gluing in wooden blocks? And what about cutting a 20" square hole in the top half and framing in a Plexiglass panel? Would the hinges already be in the right place if I start with a pre-hung door? (I know I'd need to add a second pair of hinges.) The door probably needs to be hung on all 4 hinges *before* cutting it in half...
Thanks, Bob
On 2/1/2009 12:49 PM zxcvbob spake thus:

I was going to do just this (install a Dutch door) for someone recently.
Don't use a hollow-core door: use a solid door. No patching or filling necessary. Leave at least 1/8" clearance between doors.
Yes, hang it by all 4 hinges first, then cut (duh!).
You may want to consider adding a shelf to the bottom half; usual way is to reduce the height of the bottom door by the thickness of the shelf. Add supports on both sides as needed.
mostly pears.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

What he said. I've done this, too. Solid door, cut, with another hinge for the orphaned side, and you're good to go.
Make the shelf big with overhang on each side and support underneath, if you like. That way, if can be used for a sign in/out sheets and whatever else your church uses or needs for checking in/out the kids.
--

-MIKE-

When growing up my dad's shop built on the back of the house 8' concrete... had just that. A large home made dutch door.
I support getting a solid fire door - they are heavy and will provide support when cut. Might be a safety issue as well - save another headache.
The home made ones were built with 1/2" marine plywood. The ply was the central section and large 6' wide boards framed it. They were 2x6's. They were slotted to allow the ply within.
I think the idea of pre-hanging it in the first place is Great!!!
Martin
David Nebenzahl wrote:

If nothing else, make certain any dutch door for a nursery will support kids hanging off of it and swinging wildly. It will happen, although (presumably) against the rules, and the door needs to withstand the weight and torque. This of course also calls for beefy hinges, especially for the lower portion. I would not trust a hollow core door for this.
Even if code doesn't require it, a glass (or plexiglass or whatever) panel is a really good idea in this age of liability and lawsuits and fears of child abuse, whether well-founded or not. Over the past few years, they've installed glass panels in all the nursery, classroom, and office doors in my church.
--
Andrew Erickson

Do the state rules say how or what height the window must be? With a bottom door in place to start, adults can see in as needed so a window shouldn't be needed there.
You can go with a full door and cut it in half if you think it might be easier, but essentially you're fitting two doors into an existing space. I'd install the bottom door first just to get an effective working partition in there as soon as possible and then fit the upper door with window as needed.
Upscale wrote:

I wish they would allow one way mirror glass in nurseries. It's very frustrating to have just gotten the kids settled down from the trauma and drama of "losing" their parents, only to have over-protective mommy come back in 15 minutes "just to check on junior." Then junior starts the spaz-fest all over again and we're in for another half hour of wheezing, screaming, and panting.
Mom, Dad... drop the poop monsters off and don't come back until you're taking them for good.
rant over.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

How about one of those peep-hole lenses that people install on their front doors? That way, overly protective Mom or Dad could peek in on the room without opening the door. (make sure the door swings inward so nobody gets a black eye).

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Would inward-swing pass fire code? Another thought is that a small child could be behind the door, out of sight, when someone enters from outside; bang! Another thought would be plexi, rather than glass, and the shelf on the inside. Shelf on the inside would keep little fingers from reaching up at the wrong moment. Have to plan for all possible events with small ones :o)
-MIKE- wrote:

On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 15:40:43 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Web cam! Then he or she can check (cell phone) while finishing commuting to work. Or while sitting at work.
Mark (sixoneeight) = 618
-MIKE- wrote:

There is no such thing. It's just a semitransparent mirror--you can see through it to whichever side has the brighter light. When used, for example, in a police lineup, the bright light is on the lineup side, the dim light on the witness side, so the lineup sees a mirror. If you dim the lights on that side and turn them up on the witness side then you can see the other way.

--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Hmmm, you say there is no such thing, then go on to describe how that very thing works.
I'm confused. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/2/2009 9:49 AM -MIKE- spake thus:

There's no such thing as a "one-way" mirror--that is, a mirror that can always be seen through from one side and that always reflects from the other side. As he explained, it depends on different light levels on each side.
--
Personally, I like Vista, but I probably won't use it. I like it
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Read my reply to John.
Do you guys get woodies from bringing up pointless and useless semantics? :-)
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

Welcome to USENET.
--John

Please, let's have a round of applause for our newly appointed WallMart greeter....
David Nebenzahl wrote:

I wasn't confused with his answer. I was confused as to why he felt the need to wallow in pointless, useless semantics.
--

-MIKE-

Probably because you can't turn off all the lights in the church during mass?
-Kevin
snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

Since we've gone there....
Most churches have more than one light switch. You don't need "all-light/no-light" for them to work. Less-light/more-light works fine, as often does a direct light shining on the "blind" side or simply unscrewing any bulb that is directly above the door on the "seeing" side. We're talking children here, not hardened criminals standing for a lineup.
--

-MIKE-

Uh-oh... now you've done it.