Dust Protection for Bearded Woodworkers?

Anyone have any ideas on dust masks, etc. for someone with a full beard? Those I've seen seem to require a clean-shaven face. As I start doing more in my shop, I find that sometimes I need more protection than is available with just my dust collection system.
Thanks in advance.
Ernie Eden snipped-for-privacy@ccim.net
Ernie Eden wrote:

There is something called a Resp-O-Rator that might do the trick. Here's one link: http://www.hartvilletool.com/product.php?search_idS199 These are not yet NIOSH aproved yet but but I've heard of people using them. try searching groups.google.com and the archives at woodcentral.com
jw
I know I am dodging the question, but an air cleaner would help, but not slove the problem.

While I don't have a specific brand, you'll need one with constant positive airflow. Since a mask won't seal over your beard, the only way to stop inflow when you inhale, is to ensure constant outflow.
Kevin

There are plenty of positive pressure and/or air flow masks available. The best type (IMHO) is the battery operated type, which has a battery, filter and fan on the hip, a hose to a helmet which has a face shield with an elasticated band that snugs up around the neck and face. Try a web lookup on "powered respirators".
There are other types which require filtered air from outside the working area, but the hoses are a pain to work with.
Dont use an ordinary compressor to provide you with compressed air - too much oil in it usually and that is more harmful than most wood dusts.
I have a beard and can get a seal with silicone face masks, but not with rubber ones. But its not a seal that I would trust if my life depended on it.
--
www.bribieisland4x4hire.com
VW Kombi Camper Buy Backs
Gfretwell wrote:

JGS wrote:

I worked in Nuke power for a year and after 3 trips inside the containment bldg I shaved my beard off. It took forever to clean the vasoline out and it was easily contaminated. Before you ask, no I do not glow in the dark.... anymore. :-)
I have the old 3M power visior and it is great! no dust, no fog but I got mine before the price whent through the ceiling. There is one more out now (I don't remember the name) in the under $200 range that has the battery and filters on your belt and it NIOSH approved where the power visior is not. I may put that one on my Christmas list.
BRuce
On 15-Oct-2003, BRuce <BRuce> wrote:

The Triton? I saw one a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. Looks well made. I kinda wish it had generic batteries so I could choose between NiCd and NiMH - the former being better for continual use, the latter for occasional use. The service rep opened up the filter/battery pack to show me. The batteries are soldered-in D cells, NiCd. They could just as easily made a D cell compartment to take any cell.
Must be a reasonalbe product if that's all I can complain about. However, I haven't used one. www.triton.net.au
Mike
Michael Daly wrote:

remember the hearing protection. I will check it out though, look good. there are several "batteyr stores" that can make replacments and add connectors... That might be revenu stream for a 3rd party. :-)
BRuce
--
--David Wittenberg
snipped-for-privacy@cs.brandeis.edu

is not.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Gfretwell wrote:

When I was shooting Imron.... I shaved and used a fresh air mask as requiered

a well designed DC will take care of almost all if not all dust. I have very little get in my nose anymore and I work with tropicals that really fling the dust. in the long run the dc route is far more effective then any other method. far more comfortable too.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
You could do like Bill, don't inhale ;>)
Ernie Eden wrote:

--

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA
Ernie Eden wrote:

One of these days I want to get a Racal hood. They cost more than any two machines I own put together though.
: Anyone have any ideas on dust masks, etc. for someone with a full beard? : Those I've seen seem to require a clean-shaven face. As I start doing more : in my shop, I find that sometimes I need more protection than is available : with just my dust collection system.
I have a short-cropped beard (and extremely fine hair, which I think has a lot to do with it), and find that the Dustfoe does well for nuisance dust. I also successfully used a half-face respirator while spraying the inside of a new house last Fall, using vaseline to cover my hair at the seal point. But if you want to protect your lungs fully from fine dust, you should get a NIOSH certified air filtration unit. I have the unit sold with the hardhat by
http://www.airwareamerica.com
It's the Airstream system. Not cheap, but cheaper than new lungs. You can get a similar system without the hardhat.
Another good source is:
www.envirosafety.com
    -- Andy Barss
Check out the Resp-o-rator:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product.php?search_idS199
and a mini one at:
http://www.hartvilletool.com/product.php?search_id 145
I have one, it works fine. I use it while woodworking and airbrushing. Only water based, this is only a dust filter. At $50 bucks, it beats $250 for an air visor, or $450 for an air helmet.
Ernie Eden wrote:

No masks but a sharp razor should do the trick, only problem where are all the dust mites going to live?
-- mike hide