Dust Protection for Bearded Woodworkers?

Anyone have any ideas on dust masks, etc. for someone with a full beard? Those I've seen seem to require a clean-shaven face. As I start doing more in my shop, I find that sometimes I need more protection than is available with just my dust collection system.

Thanks in advance.

Ernie Eden snipped-for-privacy@ccim.net

Reply to
Ernie Eden

There is something called a Resp-O-Rator that might do the trick. Here's one link:

These are not yet NIOSH aproved yet but but I've heard of people using them. try searching groups.google.com and the archives at woodcentral.com

jw

I know I am dodging the question, but an air cleaner would help, but not slove the problem.

Reply to
ToolMiser

While I don't have a specific brand, you'll need one with constant positive airflow. Since a mask won't seal over your beard, the only way to stop inflow when you inhale, is to ensure constant outflow.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Craig

There are plenty of positive pressure and/or air flow masks available. The best type (IMHO) is the battery operated type, which has a battery, filter and fan on the hip, a hose to a helmet which has a face shield with an elasticated band that snugs up around the neck and face. Try a web lookup on "powered respirators".

There are other types which require filtered air from outside the working area, but the hoses are a pain to work with.

Dont use an ordinary compressor to provide you with compressed air - too much oil in it usually and that is more harmful than most wood dusts.

I have a beard and can get a seal with silicone face masks, but not with rubber ones. But its not a seal that I would trust if my life depended on it.

Reply to
Roger Martin

If you are just talking about dust I haven't really had that much problem with a regular mask and I am pretty hairy. Just adjust it up snug and let the sweat do the sealing. When I am using a real respirator shooting Imron or some other nasty stuff, I wet the lips of the mask with a little vaseline. It's gummy but it does seal pretty good.

Reply to
Gfretwell

a well designed DC will take care of almost all if not all dust. I have very little get in my nose anymore and I work with tropicals that really fling the dust. in the long run the dc route is far more effective then any other method. far more comfortable too.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Reply to
JGS

the only thing that works well is LOTS of vasoline (bananna oil test). I worked in Nuke power for a year and after 3 trips inside the containment bldg I shaved my beard off. It took forever to clean the vasoline out and it was easily contaminated. Before you ask, no I do not glow in the dark.... anymore. :-)

I have the old 3M power visior and it is great! no dust, no fog but I got mine before the price whent through the ceiling. There is one more out now (I don't remember the name) in the under $200 range that has the battery and filters on your belt and it NIOSH approved where the power visior is not. I may put that one on my Christmas list.

BRuce

Reply to
BRuce

Reply to
Gerald Ross

One of these days I want to get a Racal hood. They cost more than any two machines I own put together though.

Reply to
Silvan

yep. some sawdust is course enough that the fit is good enough. but sometimes it is not.

Reply to
Steve Knight

The Triton? I saw one a couple of weeks ago and was impressed. Looks well made. I kinda wish it had generic batteries so I could choose between NiCd and NiMH - the former being better for continual use, the latter for occasional use. The service rep opened up the filter/battery pack to show me. The batteries are soldered-in D cells, NiCd. They could just as easily made a D cell compartment to take any cell.

Must be a reasonalbe product if that's all I can complain about. However, I haven't used one.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

that might of been the one but I didn't see the NIOSH rating nor did I remember the hearing protection. I will check it out though, look good. there are several "batteyr stores" that can make replacments and add connectors... That might be revenu stream for a 3rd party. :-)

BRuce

Reply to
BRuce

Ernie Eden wrote: : Anyone have any ideas on dust masks, etc. for someone with a full beard? : Those I've seen seem to require a clean-shaven face. As I start doing more : in my shop, I find that sometimes I need more protection than is available : with just my dust collection system.

I have a short-cropped beard (and extremely fine hair, which I think has a lot to do with it), and find that the Dustfoe does well for nuisance dust. I also successfully used a half-face respirator while spraying the inside of a new house last Fall, using vaseline to cover my hair at the seal point. But if you want to protect your lungs fully from fine dust, you should get a NIOSH certified air filtration unit. I have the unit sold with the hardhat by

's the Airstream system. Not cheap, but cheaper than new lungs. You can get a similar system without the hardhat.

Another good source is:

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Check out the Resp-o-rator:

a mini one at:

have > Anyone have any ideas on dust masks, etc. for someone with a full beard?

Reply to
Billy

No masks but a sharp razor should do the trick, only problem where are all the dust mites going to live?

-- mike hide

Reply to
Mike Hide

When I was shooting Imron.... I shaved and used a fresh air mask as requiered

In article ,

I have only seen the ads, but the Triton looks good. $300 list, $270 street price. I don't understand why the price is so high in the US. The street price in Britain is

150 UK Pounds, or about $225 US (and I think that includes VAT, so it would be less for export.) It's almost worth ordering one from England adn buying an adapter for the charger.
Reply to
David Wittenberg

replying to Roger Martin, ferd_berful wrote: I have a Turbine Products Breath-Cool

$500 It works well for me.

Reply to
ferd_berful