Dust Monkey

I came across something on Amazon.com this evening that folks with Contractor Saws and dust issues might find interesting... might not.

Dust Monkey DM100, Dust Collection Kit for Contractor's Saw

I've got a cabinet saw so it isn't of any use to me. However, an associate of mine has been on a mission-from-God to improve the dust collection of his contractor saw so I was looking around...

The only review on Amazon is from somebody who only half installed the thing... kind of hurts the credibility of his review.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I emailed the manufacturer for more information a few weeks ago, but they never answered. My Craftsman saw has a covered bottom with a hole to attach a DC; but does almost nothing because there are so many holes for air to come in other than the blade opening. I have seen nothing to suggest the Dust Monkey will be any better; but then they don't seem to want anyone to know what it is, so it is hard to be sure.

Reply to
toller

Interesting, but I don't see the value in it. You can buy a similar dust chute for about $10 and cut a scrap of hardboard for the rear plate.

Reply to
mp

On Tue 01 Feb 2005 08:59:52p, "John Grossbohlin" wrote in news:ImXLd.6929$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Yeah, but I think he's right when he says he doesn't "I don't think that this will be what I thought it would be."

I can't figure it out. I've got a Harbor Freight DC I paid $140 for, a tablesaw dc hood that came with one of those Woodcraft hose 'n fittings kits, and some flexible dryer vent pipe stuck on it so it sticks out the back of the saw so it's easy to put the DC hose on it. Ducktape on the joints. It works great. The only thing I could still do to make it better is put an overarm guard on it.

Why is your friend unhappy with the dust collection on his saw? Does it miss a lot of dust or is he just trying to cover up all the holes? I'm of the opinion that if you don't put enough suckage on the saw, all the tuning in the world isn't going to fix it and if you DO put enough CFM on the saw, you don't need much tuning.

I was going to put some sort of cover on the back of mine until I noticed all the dust was going into the DC anyway.

Reply to
Dan

From what he describes I think it might be a case of obsession... ;-) He has a Penn State 1.5 HP dust collector hooked up to the plastic dust pan in the bottom of the saw and has an overarm collector for the blade. Yet he is complaining about dust being "thrown all over the place." He showed me pictures of various dust chutes for inside the saw and tried to make up a magnetic cover for the back of the saw. On that note I forwarded him the info on the Dust Monkey.

I was leaning towards the fence not being parrallel to the blade but he insists the overarm collector would take care of that... I also speculated that he was running too much flexible hose the tool and killing the suction--he told me he bought a 50' roll!

I had a contractors saw hooked up to a 1 HP Delta dust collector via 4" spiral pipe and didn't have much of a dust problem. Of course taking another

1/8" off a board, or forgetting to open the blast gate, or turning the dust collector on have to be ignored here. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin