Dust fittings/hose

Where is a good place to order dust collection hose and fittings? I was thinking of hooking up 5 machines, all to 3" (1hp collector), and want to buy it all at once. I'm looking at McMaster right now and they seem to have nice stuff, just thought I'd ask before ordering if there was a better/cheaper place! Thanks.

Reply to
Subw00er

Why don't you do your major runs with schedule 40 pvc and drops from your blast gates with flex hose? The best price I have seen on hose is from Northern Tool at about $39.99 for 50'. PVC is available locally, of course.

Also, if you go with 3" you will be faced with either going up to 4" for your blast gates and drops or finding 3" hose and blast gates, which may not be that easy.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

After reading this site:

may stay with 4". Seems like you and others recommend that too. I was mainly looking forward to not having such bulky hose lying around, and since my router table/saw both exit down, routing on the ceiling is not the best idea. My ceilings are also pretty low. I'll have to think about this a bit more! Thanks.

Reply to
Subw00er
1 hp is a pretty weak collector to use for a dust collection system. 1 hp collectors are designed for local portable use with a short run of hose to one tool. It sounds like you are going to put some time, effort and money into piping. You might do some sizing before going forward to see if your dust collector can cope with it. Here's a website that has information on sizing and calculations and just about everything else on dust collection:
Reply to
Bob Davis

Excellent post Subw00er very informative site. A 1 HP dust collector will not be sufficient with what you are planning. I have a 1 HP and tried using 2 Ducts with a Y connector with Router table and saw . Have found very weak just about worthless in suction power to do the job. Go for at least a 2 HP. Else you can get by with blast gates and use 1 at a time with a 1 HP.

Reply to
dteckie

The guy dressed in brown (UPS) left my door step just awhile ago. He delivered my new Penn State Industries (tuff for a U of M fan) dust collector. It's assembled and ready to pick up my saw dust tonight.

Three things stand out.

1) switch tab was broken (they are sending a new switch). 2) motor rubbed housing cover when first turned on. Tech Service told me to pry it out. I suggested a new gasket is in order since the one in place seems to have been over compressed thus allowing contact between cover and impellor (one hopefully is on it's way). 3) finish is okay (better in visible areas as opposed to under the stand (no biggie), 1 micron bags do not have sewn in clamps as those poor instructions say they do (VERY adjustable clamps are included however).

IT's a bit louder than anticipated based upon listening to Jet DCs at a recent woodshop. However, this PS got great reviews and decided to try it.

Penn State seems to have a decent selection of DC accessories. Mine came with free 8' long flex tube ($14.95 value).

Reply to
Chip

I'm a little scared by these posts? I'm planning on using the 1hp collector for one tool at a time. I was going to use metal blast gates:

going to each length of tube that goes to each tool. The longest run would be about 10', and I'd run all 4". I've used the vac with about a 5' run on a planer and it works very well, surprisingly well. I plan on buying this clear 4" hose:

called and its not absolutely smooth on the inside, but more of a wavy relief. This is good enough for me as the price of the good stuff mentioned on that page Bob is about double the price. I'm not that hardcore!

I'd only have two y-splitters (not T-splitters!) and would connect the tube to the machines without elbows or tight corners. I think it should all be ok as long as I don't expect to use the vac fro more than one machine at a time (which I dont!). I mean, I'm only using one machine at time, and right now I'm actually swapping the hose from machine to machine as I work and that's a real PITA.

Anyway, do you all still think I'm making a mistake? This Reliant vac may only be 1hp but its certainly better than the 1/2 hp shop vac I was using - much quieter too! Thanks for the replies so far!

Reply to
Subw00er

dteckie

I ran some calcs on the spreadsheet. You'll be ok if you stick to the short run configuration you stated and can live with about 350-400 scfm. That's assuming you have a real 1 hp motor with a standard dust collector blower. You called it a vac in one of your sentences. There's a world of difference between a dust collector and a shop vacuum.

Bob

> before going to each length of tube that goes to each tool. The longest run

> I called and its not absolutely smooth on the inside, but more of a wavy

Reply to
Bob Davis