Dust explosion

Does this answer your question?

Could you drill that by hand? No.

How much power is behind your drill press ? Few hundred watts?

Now assume it's 90% efficient (it isn't) and half of that waste is going into heat. So that's the heat output of a reasonable size soldering iron, sat in a closed-in hole full of flammable sawdust. What do you think is going to happen next?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It also reacts with oak tannins to make a very noticeable black stain. You'd see this a long way off.

I don't use nitric acid on oak, because it's pointless. I can stain oak with much simpler chemistry. However I do use nitric acid stain on maple and a few other timbers, sometimes heating it too.

Besides which, nitrocellulose won't last through a winter outdoors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ok, this really happened to me. I was drilling a blank for a pen into some slightly green hardwood (I don't remember what, something tropical) and about 3/4 of the way through, the wood exploded. I mean BOOM! Splinters everywhere. If it weren't for the steam coming off the drillbit I never would have guessed that the moisture in the wood would flash to steam and blow up the workpeice.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

I have had similar things happen in wood that "I thought" was dry, but always in deep holes (3' or more) with twist bits under 3/8" in dia Just a popping sound and a spray of dust and steam. Never had one come apart but then I use larger blanks of wood then you would use for a pen. This time it was a spade bit and left ash. on my shirt and glasses. This could have been a steam explosion,but it was a weird one if it was. Wood might have shattered if it had been a twist bit?! 8(

Reply to
sweetsawdust

Why are you using a spade bit on such a deep hole? An auger bit will clear the cut wood from the hole and keep things cool. . .

BB

Reply to
BB

If a woodworker speaks in a forest, and there's nobody there to hear him........will Doug Miller still correct him?

Reply to
builderstan

I don't know. I never thought of doing it is the only reason I can give. I have a good set of auger bits and a good brace setting on the wall collecting dust. Tomorrow I will get them out dust them off and give them a try. I will be cutting in end grain but they should do the job and be cleaner then the spade bit to boot. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
sweetsawdust