Dust explosion

Page 2 of 2

I think that your spade bit was spinning a bit too fast. Have you considered a forstner bit?
Have tried fostner bits several times and on shorter holes they work but build up to much heat. I have had charring in the holes when using fostner bits even at low speeds, not often but a few times. With a hole of this length (8") I have to make several passes or drill from both ends and the fostner bits do not give as smooth of a shaft as the spade bits for this. Main problem with the fostner bits is heat build up at depth which I seem to have gotten anyway in this case.

considered
I remember drilling in oak with a forstner bit. Wow did it get hot. I had to really slow down or it woulda caught fire. Smelt bad to.
sweetsawdust wrote:

Ok, this really happened to me. I was drilling a blank for a pen into some slightly green hardwood (I don't remember what, something tropical) and about 3/4 of the way through, the wood exploded. I mean BOOM! Splinters everywhere. If it weren't for the steam coming off the drillbit I never would have guessed that the moisture in the wood would flash to steam and blow up the workpeice.
Andy
I have had similar things happen in wood that "I thought" was dry, but always in deep holes (3' or more) with twist bits under 3/8" in dia Just a popping sound and a spray of dust and steam. Never had one come apart but then I use larger blanks of wood then you would use for a pen. This time it was a spade bit and left ash. on my shirt and glasses. This could have been a steam explosion,but it was a weird one if it was. Wood might have shattered if it had been a twist bit?! 8(
It does make you want to stop working for a minute though and ponder life, doesn't it. I wonder how many other strange and secret events happen in wood shops that you never hear about? It's all part of the fun of working with a living material.

had
it
glasses
the

bang
dust
some
and

I don't know. I never thought of doing it is the only reason I can give. I have a good set of auger bits and a good brace setting on the wall collecting dust. Tomorrow I will get them out dust them off and give them a try. I will be cutting in end grain but they should do the job and be cleaner then the spade bit to boot. Thanks for the tip.