Dust doors for Delta tools- Who needs one?

I called Delta yesterday for some dust doors as I have several used resale machines missing the plain flat panel doors used on older belt/disc sanders, 14" bandsaws, 6" jointers, small spindle sanders, etc. After I got a price of $36.00 for the little barbed pin that holds the top of the door and $5.+ for each of the spring clips at the bottom I politely asked to have my potential order forgotten. I own a metal working shop and there is nothing in this door that should cause it to retail for more then $35.-$40. and that is when it is made in small quantities. Since we have already made repro knurled knobs for old cast iron base machines this looks like another area for "will fit parts" that just happen to look a lot like the originals. If you have need for one of these doors and the price seems reasonable Email me with your interest. If we can sell 20 or so units I will consider making the parts and offering them as a painted assembly. BTW we use commercial UPS so shipping any place in the country should be under $10. for one and $15.00 for two.
And in case anyone is wondering, CAtruckman (aka Leigh) is known to some of us, especially OWWMers, and while I'd normally not vouch for some of the online community, I can say he does really exist and can be trusted.
In case anyone was giving this a the eye ball and wondering.
Now, can he make a louvered dust door for the Unisaw?
UA100
Yep, I've bought a few things from him over the years. Can't speak to his metal working ability, but he ships what he says.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
CAtruckman wrote:

I have a need for a Delta 12"-14" dust door. Where do I sign up?
thanks,
Jim Hime Hatton ND

Pat Barber wrote:

Of all the dust doors in this world I'd think the one for the 12/14 would be the easiest to replicate by the common man (1). I mean, take a look at Keith Rucker's saw.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id 46
It looks as though you could start with a piece of 1" material (cast iron's favorite cousin MDF?) and with normal toolage recreate the slight bow on the front and let in the horizontal lines. Then it's just a small matter of gathering some rare earth magnets (from Lee Valley of course) and devising a way of them holding the works into the opening. That's what I did for El Guapo.
http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id
If the pictures aren't quite up to snuff for picking up the subtleties of the design you can hunt down a picture of a 40's/50's vintage Delta/Crescent 20" band saw and pick up what they did with the upper wheel cover (2).
The real sprinkles on the Dairy Queen (tm Jeff Hoffman) are/is finding the proper knob. They do appear from time to time on eBay.
Anyways, that's kinda what I was kinda thinking.
(1) That's a lie. The one for the 1939 Unisaw was/is the easiest onna 'count of it wasn't louvered/just a flat panel.
(2) I don't know for sure but I'm wondering if the hand of Brooks Stevens (3) isn't somewhere in their somewhere.
(3) Who is Brooks Stevens? Quite possibly the greatest industrial design guise to ever be born that's who.
http://www.brooksstevenshistory.com
And you wondered who came up with the Wiener Mobile.
UA100

This brings up the age old question. Who's the main man from Milwaikiki? Herbert or Brooks?
Regards, Tom.
Laverne or Shirley?
TJDubyah:

Well CHA!
UA100, who would name a son Herbert onna 'count of it is the name of his current favorite living Herb in the world but won't have to onna 'count of it won't be happening...